Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

5-Axis Foam Mill

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Brown.Tyler, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Brown.Tyler

Builder

Hello everyone,

I'm just getting started with researching what would be the best way to go about my next project. I'm looking to build a 5-axis CNC mill to work with foam stock. The ultimate goal is to fabricate aircraft structural components to assemble into a remote control aircraft.

I currently have a 3D printer and was impressed with the 5-axis head that Reiner Schmidt developed. I was thinking of printing the components to assemble the head in order to use on my CNC mill. Home Made 5-Axis CNC Head Is A Project To Watch

The world of CNC mills is rather daunting, so I am hoping to be pointed in the right direction towards some plans, as well as some material suggestions, as I imagine building for foam milling wouldn't require the same type of materials as for aluminum milling.

I would like to have a workspace of 0.75m x 1.50m x 0.50m. As for accuracy, I think +/- 1mm would be more than acceptable. Budget, I really have no idea what would be realistic for a mill of this size/capability.

All of the research I have done seeking 5-axis CNC mill plans has turned up dry. From what I've read however, a 3-axis mill could be turned into a 5-axis with some work. Am I looking for a good 3-axis CNC foam mill that I can modify to accommodate my 0.50m Z-axis dimension and mount the 5-axis head on it?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

for most shapes you do not need 5 axis as 3 axis can cut it using a ball end mill.
    I suggest getting a Workbee or Sphinx kit and using it for a month or two before trying to 5 axis.
    My belt drive OX clone cuts foam airplane parts just fine (-:

3. Brown.Tyler

Builder

Hi David

So a 3-axis with a ball end would be sufficient to mill out and surface the top half of a wing or fuselage?

The design of aircraft I have in mind would have an air intake embedded into the fuselage much like the Boeing MQ-25 Stingray. Would a feature such as this require 4 or 5 axis?

Also, the two models that you have recommended, could these be easily modified for 5-axis?

4. David the swarfer

Yes I believe so.
    It all depends how you split the fuselage in the CAM software.
    you can do halves, top half/bottom half that are joined later. (or even left/right halves)
    you can do quarters so each quarter 'skin' lies flat for milling and then gets attached to a subframe at the correct angle.

both machines I referenced can be easily modified to 4 axis though maybe the Sphinx is easier because of the way the router mounts (if the router is to be the 4th axis). (but you would need a different controller for 4 or 5 axis, the GRBL based controllers like the BlackBox cannot do it).

for both it is quite easy to mount them on a custom table so that the fuselage can be mounted between centers (the A axis) instead of the flat cutting board. kinda like the Legacy machines which have a space frame to accomodate the A axis.

Have you searched these forums for existing 4th and 5th axis posts? It has probably been done (-:

5. David the swarfer

Here a half fuselage mould is being cut, but the idea is exactly the same as cutting a foam fuselage half.

6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

If it were me, I would be tempted to go with the Lead High Z model and then put a removable rotary axis underneath. In fact, that is exactly what I plan to do with mine when I get around to installing my linear rails. I just need to sketch it up first then order the parts. So basically, my current modified Ox design will become a modified 4 axis LEAD high Z design...maybe.