Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

3D relief carving

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Tbear1123, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Tbear1123

Tbear1123 New
    Builder

Hey everyone, fairly new to Fusion and CNCing.. I've had my OpenBuilds mini mill for about 2 months now and have done plenty of coasters with engravings and pockets into them.. I am wanting to create a little box with the wasatch mountains on the top lid as a gift for christmas. I have designed the model in fusion and cut out my first one tonight.. i am looking for advice on how to make this a quicker process and maybe a little more detail? Fusion tells me it will take a total time of 56 minutes to complete this model but it took nearly 2 hours once actually doing it. The parallel path wasn't too bad, it was the pocket that took forever!

any advice or changes that you would make to the tool paths? i've got a 3.175 mm ball end mill (ordered smaller tonight for more detail)..

I have attached a fusion file of my design.

Thanks for your time and advice!!

Attached Files:

2. Ariel Yahni

Ariel Yahni OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

@Tbear1123

There are a few things that i would do:

- Use a larger in diameter tool if possible
    - If the total DOC is not that deep I would go directly to a finish pass with a Ball Nose
    - Increase the Feed Rate depending on what you have seen on your first try. Also you could do this in OpenBuilds CONTROL while its in operation.

All of the above done while the stock piece is very well secured.

Hope this helps

Tbear1123 likes this.