Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

3D pictures.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Tweakie, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

This is not my work, credit goes to Jerry in Montana, but I thought you guys may like to see some of his work which I think is quite inspirational.

These are composites where the photographic image and background are first routed into the stock then the shades are laser engraved over the top to produce these truly 3D pictures which have then, subsequently, been framed.

Tweakie.

a1.jpg a4.jpg

JZatopa likes this.
  2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Very nice and great use of tools. I am guessing he just put a mark at his zero mark, say in the bottom left corner of the board before routing, then he used this same mark for lining up the laser on the shading code?

3. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

I don't know for sure but that would seem the logical way to ensure correct registration between the two processes.
    Incidentally each of the two processes was completed on a different machine and although Jerry initially had scaling problems because of this it all seems to have been resolved now.

Tweakie.

4. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Ah! I've been looking for this. As I said, mistakenly to Robert, I've had something like this in mind to do myself. Have you got any more details with regard to Jerry in Montana. A site address would be great. I'm keen to see how he does it.
    Many Thanks.
    Gray

5. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Hi Gray,

There are two topics here which contain details of the process and how it was achieved. The threads have now become quite large and there is lots of reading to do but if you have the time to spare you should gain enough information to tailor the process to suit your own intended application.

http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-236-1

http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-151-1

Tweakie.