Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

3 Axis milling with oX

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by nate campbell, Apr 26, 2015.

1. nate campbell

Builder

Hello all! I'm just getting my newest DLP 3d printer finished and starting to think about my next project and the oX or a version of it I think is winning. My question is are the commonly available controllers tinyg, xpro ect. able to do true 3-axis milling? I use that term to mean moving all 3 axis at the same time during machining. I ask because I haven't seen any videos of people doing this. Thanks

#1 nate campbell, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. lanciere

lanciere New
    Builder

I use tinyg and you can move for sure x,y,z axis at the same time with G0 or G1 command. I haven't tried yet other 3D movements, but helical milling and arcs in xz and yz planes should be supported.

3. nate campbell

Builder

I assumed as much but most of the videos are people cutting their first part. I guess once you get past that you've got too much stuff to make to post videos. I'm just looking to do things like parallel fishing paths in MDF

4. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Some people I know use the BeagleBone Black with linux CNC. The daughterboard they use is the PBX-BB http://www.probotix.com/index.php?view=product&product_id=204 and for sure that works real smooth and does 3D well, and not just 2.5D. Also the CNC USB controller Mk3/4 (4 axis) sold here in the shop works well. Add some good drivers to it and your done. Sure these things are not cheap so you can also go with the tinyG or xPRO if you are on a budged but I never tried 3D with those. Lanciere confirmed (thank you!) that it's works and I think that´s darn good for an Arduino with GRBL (must be version 0.8 or up?).

-Ronald
    OpenBuilds México