Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

3 Axis chassis build

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by John S., Jul 2, 2014.

1. John S.

John S. New
    Builder

Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask for some guidance as I'm preparing to order some part for a system I'm planning to build. This is a chassis that will accommodate a device so it can have the ability to move in the 3 axis.

I have attached the general plan in a photo, but still do not know how this will come together exactly and hoe many components do I need order (i.e. to connect the corners and also were to mount the stepper motors) to make it work.

Also, how could I cut the v slots in the dimension I have designed?

Thank you in advance for your valuable time!

John S.

Chassis.jpg

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hello John S,
    Looks like you are well on your way to building this machine! :thumbsup:
    *My 2 cents would be to keep working the model you have going and get everything where you think it should go (even if the model is incomplete), then start hands on building. I have found that no matter how long I study the 3D model I always miss a few details and a lot of times hands on building is the best way to discover new ways to accomplish a task. There is also the know paralysis by analysis that is a pitfall that happens to us all and keeps a build from moving forward completely :)
    Switching over to building is also a nice break from the design process and allows you to go back once the machine is complete and quickly complete the model know that it works the way you have it set up in the real world.

You can check out this thread where the guys are talking about their experiences cutting aluminum extrusions
    http://www.openbuilds.com/threads/cutting-aluminum-extrusion.20/
    Hope this is helpful advice John. Keep up the good work and most of all, keep it fun! :ROFL:
    Mark

3. John S.

John S. New
    Builder

Hi Mark,

You absolutely understood what I'm going through..too much CAD freaked me out. However, I'm not sure how can I proceed to the next step of actually making without knowing the joint methods that will take me to the part store for ordering the parts. I assume that I will need to make some stock:) Are you aware of any place I could use a miter saw in London, maybe hackerspace?

Thanks for the advice!
    Congratulations for the excellent work !

John

4. Mark Carew

Hi John,
    thank you for the kind words my friend :)
    Have you talked with the guys @ the London hackerspace yet? They seem like the perfect place to build this as they would have the tools and be able to help with the over all build.
    https://london.hackspace.org.uk/
    They seem to have a lot of nice tools to work with there.
    https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Equipment#Woodworking
    Mark

5. John S.

John S. New
    Builder

Hi!

I'll pass by to check it out, as I think they are the guys with the tools in central london!

I'll let you know.

John

Mark Carew likes this.
  6. Mark Carew

Sounds good looking forward to hearing how you make out. :thumbsup:

7. John S.

John S. New
    Builder

Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble connecting the following
    1. Nema 34 Stepper Motor
    2. 5 Axis CNC Breakout Board Interface For Stepper Motor Driver ST-V2 - http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/5-...face-for-stepper-motor-driver-stv2-p-197.html
    3. Leadshine M542 Stepper Motor Driver 20-50 VDC with 1.0-4.2A - http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/leadshine-m542-stepper-motor-driver-2050-vdc-with-1042a-p-172.html
    Could you please inform where I could find a free software like MACH 3 to use and have a user Interface to control?
    I'm doing this the first time and I'm a bit lost

Thanks,
    John

8. Mark Carew