Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

24V Power supply with saw dust

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by gazingm42, Feb 28, 2017.

1. gazingm42

gazingm42 New
    Builder

As I am installing the brains of the operation of the CNC machine I was attaching the the project box
    with the tinyg inside with a fan. Plus attached the 24V power supply to the back rail behind the Xaxis.
    I have become concern over the sawdust with the power supply. As you know these power supplies
    are far from air tight. What do others do to help resolve this concern on the dust in the power supplies.

Thanks

2. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

Don't mount it on the machine. It's nice in the fact that it makes the machine compact and self contained, but puts all the important parts in danger. Remotely mount it in an enclosure along with your controller to keep it away from all the dust.

3. gazingm42

gazingm42 New
    Builder

I was on this thought of having a remote self contained box to keep them out of danger.

4. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

The surefire way to keep it out of the dust is to do what evilc66 suggests. But a decent compromise is to mount your control box and power supply directly under the middle of the spoil board. That gives you the nice compact machine without a lot of wires leading to it. But it is the place on the machine with the least exposure to dust and debris.

-D

5. gazingm42

gazingm42 New
    Builder

I just put together a box for the PS and tinyg made from Baltic Birch, glue drying now. I will then install some
    12V fans X 2 in the box to exhaust/or cool air with a small air filter. Thanks guys