Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

20 x 20 strength?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by munchit1, Nov 23, 2014.

1. munchit1

munchit1 New
    Builder

hi all, one big arsed question to follow lol

how much weight would a 20x20 v slot extrustion take before it started to flex? (how wide a printer head beam would 20x20 stand? direct estruder sat on it fans and all for instance)

or more to the point what weight at what length?

obviously i'm thinking for a 3d printer frame and axis guides. how little material in a frame?

eg, 500 Z 600 Y and 700mm X dimentions
    without having to
    or 1000mm on the x axis. this one especialy?

i'm thinking would a really basic two 'T' set up actualy be sturdy enough?

the 'T''s up side down and secured to a table top or some such, would be a peachy portable set up for a 'put away' large unit.
    how strong would the corner joins be etc etc...? the v slot stuff looks propper taisty on the adds, but... time you start adding per wheel base and then this then a pully mount etc etc soon waps up the price. that said for larger printers its still in the running compaired to the suported bar stuff, or i think it is based on the vids. alas it does depend on how well the wheels would hold on an angle or how long theyd stayed repeatabley accurate.(a single beam set up doesnt seem practicle without some hefty wide exstrusion and/or way too many wheels clamping?)

i gues what i'm saying is how good is this stuff with a large hint at somekind of real fugures and facts so i could actualy design and build and get what i exspected.

i've got one hit at this build, if it fails i'm fooofed.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I suggest you spend a little time looking through the 3D printer section of the forum. You will rapidly come to the conclusion that what you propose is not even remotely feasible.

3. munchit1

munchit1 New
    Builder

that is what i thought tbh.. but as cost is important on this build thought i'd ask.

for instance 'sparing' does become strong, i was thinking the width of the wheel span was more important, i.e. 2 wheels with the black plastic angle bracket on 20 20 would lose a bit of cost verses 4 wheels a plate etc.
    i'm also temped to wait a while longer and attempt a small cnc compatable router/printer design.(as in something strong enough to rout plastick sheeting, or even just mount a laser kit to it later on next year but remain light enough to get a bit extra on the speed front for the 3d printer set up).