Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

20' Wide Fabric Laser Cutter?

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Traverse, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Traverse

Traverse New
    Builder

Would need to continuous feed. Fabric is just a lightweight powerstretch material.

Plausible (or possible) to build one? Any suggestions where to start?

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Would probably be an epoxy and aluminum beams/truss job, but no reason it couldn't be done. Laser tube would likely have to be gantry-mounted, might be a little tricky to keep the whole thing light enough to be really quick.

4. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

Aren’t lasers generally a bad idea to use to cut fabric..... a drag knife would work better I think. Today I came across an auction with a massive cnc that is a laser, router and drag knife, and includes a convert belt across the bed, I checked it out on YouTube, can feed rolls of stuff continuously, was at 1k usd, but ends the 10th, I imagine it will go up to many 10s of thousands at the last min.

I’ve been trolling auctions (not eBay, and not that kind of trolling.. maybe trawling is a better choice of words) for excess equipment to round out my workshop.. but I always like seeing the monster machines that go reasonably cheap compared to buying new.

was this thing.

5. Traverse

Traverse New
    Builder

If anyone is interested in building me a 6 Meter wide CNC fabric cutter with table and feed. If it works well, we could potentially buy 4 more. We are negotiable, but this would be pretty much be name your price.

6. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

I take it checking out the DIY route didn't go quite according to plan! This is a pretty huge project, but I'm open to discussing some details. DM me if you'd like.

7. Traverse

Traverse New
    Builder

Yea, to be honest I never made an attempt, absolutely zero time. I will DM you.