Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

1500 mm c-beam w/ 1000 mm lead screw

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Terr, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Terr

Terr New
    Builder

I am wanting to use a 1000 mm lead screw in a 1500 mm c-beam. To do this I need a bearing mount 2/3 of the way down the beam. This must not interfere with any gantry I might select.

How can I do this? I cannot find anything in the parts store.

Note. This is my first build. I suppose I can use a belt. I think a screw might work better.

Email is fine.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

For 1500mm axes, belt is recommended (long leadscrews whip around at speed)
    for 1000mm leadscrew, you need a 1000mm C-Beam. The C-Beam system suspends the leadscrew between two end plates, constained with stop-collars.

3. Terr

Terr New
    Builder

1000 is fine for the lead screw. But I need 1500 for the track. Yes I know about whipping. I prefer to not use a belt. But I may be totally wrong on this and likely will try a belt system.

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

What you seek is easily achieved. Either cut down an existing C-Beam® End Mount or mill one from scratch. MiniMills are great for such a task.

short screw.jpg

Sketchup file attached.

Attached Files:

5. Terr

Terr New
    Builder

Ya. This is what I had in mind. It looks **** sweet.

Here is another thought. I am actually running 2 gantry plates carrying another beam... probably a 20x80 V-Slot. The gantry system is parallel to the main beam with a length of 500 mm. It is also fixed as in bolted to the gantry plates. Thus it will act as 2 mobile bearings?

If I can find lead screw 1500 mm long this will be preferable and at no time is any part of the lead screw exposed more than 1000 mm.

Is it possible to buy a 1500 mm lead screw? Can I order a cut down end plate?

That mini mill looks great. I need to get me one. The more I learn of this system the better it looks.

Is there a hard copy catalogue I can ask for or down load?

6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Try Zyltech for the screws. They’ll cut lengths up 2000mm. Please note their screws will be the full 8mm so you may need to sand the ends a bit to get them through the bearings. You’ll also want to get some dry silicone spray lube to help the nut blocks glide along the screw. As for the lengths you’re working with just be sure the screw is straight and you don’t knock it out of alignment when you tighten down the nut blocks. You’ll also want to do your screw in tension, inverting the end blocks and putting the bearings and lock collars on the outside rather than inside. Assume a minimum screw lengths of 1550mm.

7. Jesus Fernandez

Builder

Hi,

Im on my process to build my CNC but im making a large format, for which i would need 2.2mt leadscrew, but reading your comment it seems that for that length it is better to use belt? if so, what type of belt do you recommend? or what type of solution you think i should go for to address this issue that i cannot find anywere some 2000 mm acme leadscrew? i already bought the blackbox kit with the high torque motors from you guys but im struggling to address this long Y axis leadscrew issue.

Any insights or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Checkout the Transmission category on Openbuildspartstore.com