Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

1 good driver or 3 bad drivers ?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by target, Jan 17, 2018.

1. target

target New
    Builder

Hi all, nice to be here

I have just finished building my first cnc router and about to start actually doing something with it, during my build I somehow managed to blow up 2 grbl boards and 6 drivers, hey note to myself, don't connect voltages when tired late at night :)

also I have a problem, I think,

thanks to YouTube I found how to set the voltage using the trimmer pots on the driver boards, I set all 4 drivers initially to 0.75 volt and it all works and tests fine, apart from having to buy 2 more driver boards when the trim pots fell off

that is apart from

one of the stepper drivers powers one motor (Y axis) and when it finishes working it goes absolutely solid locked up and sounds like it is groaning, the other 3 are firm but not locked up

I tried increasing the voltage on the 3 looser stepper motors to 1.0 volt and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference, but to get the solid stepper driver down to the same stiffness I have had to drop the voltage down to 0.4 volt and it did stop groaning and loosened a bit

I swapped over the motors, same result, moved the driver to another spot on the grbl board exactly the same effect on a different motor, so it looks to me like it is the DRV8825 driver board

is this a case of I have 1 bad board and 3 good boards? or 1 good board and 3 bad boards ? any help would be more than welcome

info on my cnc build and components below

basically the cnc has a bed of 900mm x 900mm and is pure self build made up of parts found laying around my workshop, rails bearings lead screws etc, and I added in a new Arduino uno (of which I am novice) and a new GRBL board and ended up using DRV8825 drivers, stepper motors are used (eBay) 4 x identical minebea 23LM-C343-14V wired from 6 wire down to 4 wire with pairs being red & yellow and pair 2 being blue & orange, which I believe is correct LINK TO STEPPER MOTOR SPEC SHEET please correct me if I have made a mistake

I have used links to set all drivers to 1/32 micro stepping, also set the mm rate so it is exact at 500mm travel, and set max speed at a sensible 400mm per minute as I am not really expecting supersonic speed and all is nice and quiet, nothing straining

I have paired 2 of the stepper motors via the grbl to drive the X axis and used the clone spare on the GRBL to make that work, which it does marvellous

The CNC structure does need strengthening up as mostly built on ply at the moment, but everything works as expected, the spindle is a nice almost new RotaZip high speed tool that I bought new about 4 years ago and only used it on one job so keeping stuff does come in handy even if wifey says it doesn't :)

Look forward to sharing info on here as I learn more

2. Gooshpoo

Gooshpoo Well-Known
    Builder

Watch this video check you motors specs and set them to what they are designed to run at.

3. target

target New
    Builder

HI and ty for answering, I had followed a very similar youtube video that was almost exactly like the one you posted, I have ordered another driver board and that should be with me soon

I am still a tad unsure what the voltage should be, I have now set the 3 of them that are the same at 1 volt and it runs a dream, actually I am very happy how things work, with a DTI set to each axis and moving almost full travel and back again 10 times, there is zero error on X and Y and only 1 thou on Z axis so I think I can live with that for a while, however as I said the majority of the cnc at the moment is plywood and that won't stay stable for ever so soon will be steel or ally,

Now all I have to do is work out how to set cutting feed rates accurately ? any ideas welcome :D

4. Gooshpoo

Gooshpoo Well-Known
    Builder

Well good luck with that im still a noob when it comes to cutting .