This was my 1st attempt at doing a V-carve inlay project and I decided upon a cutting board. This was made as an Christmas present. The main wood for the board is hickory and it is approx 12.5" x 18" x 1.5" in dimension. I usually try to avoid "exotic" woods in my projects but really needed the "color" they often provide. I wasn't sure if my WorkBee would be up to the task. I replaced all the lead screw threaded blocks before starting the project and the machine has minimal backlash. It handled the project like a champ.
- Machine Type:
- OpenBuilds WorkBee
- Vectric V-carve Pro
- OpenBuilds BlackBox
- Bit or Laser Size:
- 10.5 Degree, .5mm Tapered Ball Nose
- Hickory for main board, Purple Heart, Padauck, Walnut, Cherry for inlays.
The inlays in this board are fairly deep at around .27 inches. I started the project in V-carve Pro 11.5 but received a number of GRBL errors in the tool path files and dropped back to 11.0 for the build which was problem free. Will need to get with Vectric/Open Build to try to figure out the issue.
I would definitely rate this project as at least "Advanced Intermediate".
Thanks for looking!