Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Intermediate Tardis Laptop Tray

  • Machine Type:
    Other Machine
    Software:
    Fusion 360 for CAD, Estlcam for CAM and control
    Electronics:
    Other Controller
    Machine Time:
    20 minutes-ish
    Bit or Laser Size:
    60 degree 1/2" V-bit
    Feeds & Speeds:
    Feeds 3000mm/min 18000 rpm
    Materials:
    Plywood, Alumalite Epoxy Resin, acrylic paint, graphite powder to darken the blue, Rust-oleum 2x Gloss clear-coat.
    My wife is a big Dr. Who fan so I made her a Tardis themed laptop tray. I have made these trays for myself and 3 kids but without any decoration. I wanted to give an epoxy inlay a try so I thought this would be a good project to try it on. I found the .svg file on Etsy at Tardis in the Vortex SVG | Etsy .

    Etsy.PNG

    Originally I had planned to do this with Vcarve Desktop, but the .svg had issues and extra lines when opened with that software. So, since I had previously created the .dxf file for the tray in Fusion 360, I just imported the .svg to that model and created a new .dxf file:

    DXF.PNG

    Then I saved it to my Onedrive and went out and opened in on the garage computer and generated the toolpaths with Estlcam:

    CAM.PNG

    After cutting, I tinted some Alumalite casting epoxy resin with blue acrylic paint and graphite powder. The graphite powder was what I had on hand that was black and compatible. I use graphite powder mixed with epoxy for fill coats on the bottom of canoes and kayaks. Once cured, I sand it exposing the graphite and in the water it is super slippery for getting over rocks and logs with the kayak/canoe. But I digress...

    I picked this resin up locally at Michael's Crafts because there is always at least a 20% off coupon for purchases there. Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast, 16oz.

    Once mixed, I poured it into the carved swirl area. It was explained to me this is the "time vortex." Two miracles happened on this project. The first is I mixed exactly the amount I needed. There was very little waste.
    DSC_0381.JPG

    I spread it around with an old credit card. Credit cards and gift/rewards cards make great squeegees. I have not bought a squeegee in years. I also smeared it all over the board like a stain so the rest of the board would match the areas around the pour in case I could not sand it all off.

    DSC_0382 (2).JPG

    The second pour was mixed in the first pour's mixing cup so it would be a little darker than the acrylic color but not too much darker. Then the second miracle occurred. I mixed exactly the amount I needed for the Tardis portion plus a little more for the pockets which were cut for a pen and for other things like SD cards. The camera flash made this second pour look really light blue. You can also see where I spilled my acrylic paint all over the CNC machine on the left.:banghead:

    DSC_0384.JPG

    After pouring, I used a heat gun to blow on the surface to pop bubbles. I left it overnight to cure. However, in a garage close to freezing, it was not happening fast enough. So, the next day I let the heat gun blow across it for probably close to 8 hours. This did the job and last night (12/24 - yeah I know I am a horrible husband for waiting until the last minute) I was able to sand it all down and flush. Then I sprayed 3 coats of Rust-Oleum 2x Clear coat on both sides and edges. You can still see the wood grain on the pockets on the right due to it being a thin coat of resin.

    DSC_0385.JPG

    The following is a quick 2:22 video showing the process. You can see that the bottom of the carve is very rough. I did a 15% stepover (I think) with the V-bit. This was intentional for two reasons: the resin would have extra material to bite into, and it made the machining much faster. This was also the first time I v-carved that fast (3000mm/min). The one mistake I made was I put the depth limit at 4 mm, but my v-bit DOC settings was 3mm. This caused the CNC to have to do two passes. I should have just set the depth for 3mm, but then those two aforementioned miracles would not have happened and resin would have been wasted. :D



    If I were to do something like this again, I would purchase higher quality plywood that has thicker top plies than the Home Depot crap I used. That gives you more margin of error for sanding the surface down.

    For those interested, I downloaded the Dr. Who Font used in the video here: Doctor Who Font Download
    DXF.PNG CAM.PNG Etsy.PNG DSC_0381.JPG DSC_0382 (2).JPG DSC_0384.JPG DSC_0385.JPG

Share this Project

Mark Carew likes this.

User Comments

To post comments and download files, simply sign up and become a member!
  1. Mark Carew
    Turned out amazing! Nice job
      Giarc likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice