Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Jubilee Board Horse Riding School

  • Machine Type:
    OpenBuilds WorkBee
    Inkscape and Deskproto 7.1 and vectric
    OpenBuilds BlackBox
    Machine Time:
    Flatten the top 1.40 hours, Words 51min, letter m 32min, around image 18min, rough processing 4.26 hours, fine finish 3.45hours, flatten the bottem 2.53hours
    Bit or Laser Size:
    90 degrees VBIT, 6mm one flute, 3mm one flute, 1mm ballnose bit, 20mm flat bit
    Feeds & Speeds:
    for the words 2000mm/min and de rest 4000mm/min
    I think its a slab of douglas but i m not sure.
    Because this slice of a tree trunk is not flat at all, I had to make it flat first. I put it on my CNC table and tried to get it as flat as possible compared to the X axis. Then I could start flattening the slab. I used a milling cutter with a diameter of 20mm with a DOC of 2mm and a stepover of 10mm. All this took 100 minutes.
    When that was done I could swap the cutter for a 90 degree VBIT and load the program for all the words. With 2000mm/min and a doc of 0.5mm it took 32 minutes. As a next operation I milled a contour around the image with a 6mm one flute and a doc of 1mm, total depth 25mm and that took 18 minutes.

    The next day I milled the rough cut of the image with a 6mm one flute doc 1mm, stepover 3mm, speed 4000mm/min and that took 4.26hours. The next operation was the fine finishing with a 1mm ballnose, stepover 0.3mm, at a speed of 4000mm/min.

    The next day I turned the slice over and started flattening the underside. Again I used a 20mm cutter with a doc of 2mm and a stepover of 10mm and a speed of 4000mm/min. Because there was a difference in thickness of just over 30mm, it took a total of 3 hours.
    There were a few very bad spots in the slab that showed up during milling. I filled them with malleable wood so I can finish it later. Immediately afterwards I put the words in the transparent varnish so that I can paint the words later.

    First foto is the endproduct
    The second photo was taken right after the milling of the top was finished. (You can clearly see the hole in the middle near the feet of the horses)
    The third picture was taken after I filled the hole with liquid wood (still a bit rough here but that will be fine after sanding)
    The fourth photo shows that I varnished the words to prevent leakage to the side.
    The fifth picture shows that all the words have been colored in with the appropriate colours.
    The sixth photo I got back from the customer who was disturbed by the light spot on the place of the horse legs.
    The seventh photo was taken after I had treated the ligth spot for the first time with stain and you can see that it has added color quite nicely.
    The eighth photo was taken after I treated the spot three times and also the other spots on the board
    The ninth photo shows in detail the updated spot between the two and the three.
    The tenth photo is taken from the back of the board where the hole is clearly visible. This one went straight through the board and I also filled it with liquid wood. A complete tube went into it.
    The eleventh and last photo shows the detail of the hole in the back.
    IMG-20230609-WA0000.jpeg IMG-20230531-WA0006.jpeg IMG-20230602-WA0004 (1).jpeg IMG-20230602-WA0008.jpeg IMG-20230606-WA0000.jpeg IMG-20230606-WA0002.jpg IMG-20230606-WA0003.jpeg IMG-20230606-WA0008.jpeg IMG-20230607-WA0000.jpeg IMG-20230530-WA0007.jpeg IMG-20230530-WA0009.jpeg

Share this Project

Ariel Yahni, Giarc and Mark Carew like this.

User Comments

To post comments and download files, simply sign up and become a member!
  1. A.J.W.E. Klappe
    hello all,

    This was a very nice project but it took a lot of hours. In total, including the finishing, the project took 18 hours.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice