- Machine Type:
- Laser / Plasma
- Illustrator / LaserWeb4
- Machine Time:
- Bit or Laser Size:
- Feeds & Speeds:
- 12mm/s speed / 100% power @ 10mA max ( This will vary depending on your laser )
- 3mm Plywood
Field notes are awesome for taking "notes", but all of them are pretty much the same. In my case if got one from a very cool maker " Foureyes " and was planning doing a leather sleeve for it ( yeah i do lots of stuff with leather ) until i got a better idea and decided to make this project.
So this what i did:
- Designed a a cover based on the field notes size with 2 small rectangles for an elastic band
- Took a living hinge design for laser cutting and added it to the over all design
- Google an image of the Metallica Snake from the black album as a cover to add as the front
- Generated raster operation for the snake image and a cut operation for the cover in LaserWeb4
- Added some masking tape to prevent to much burn on the ply
- Executed the job on the Laser
Once finished cutting i sanded everything to remove burn mark and also a red tone that come on the ply i have available.
From there i dyed in 2 colors the wood and let it sit for a couple of hours, then took some black elastic band and glued (CA) it to the wood, this would hold the notes in place. Last added some small magnets (CA) to keep it closed.
Photos of the process in order bellow
** This project was done using a extended cheap Chinese K40 laser cutter with Openbuilds profiles, wheel and stepper motors, more info on the UK40OB project can be found here :