Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

      1. Build Progress:
        • Build in Progress...
      Rate This Build
      1 votes
      I am currently studying a Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Mechanical) at AUT in Auckland, New Zealand.
      I started this build in my holidays a few months ago and have been working on it in my spare time since then, it features an E3D hotend in a bowden configuration with a dodgy chinese aluminium extruder I bought on aliexpress. The total cost of the first version was around $1000 NZD (about $670 USD) but would cost a fair bit less if I didnt have to pay to get parts shipped halfway across the planet.
      I had been wanting to build a 3D printer for a while but not having a 3D printer to make the parts for one with, and not knowing anybody with one, I decided to design one using off the shelf non-printed parts. STD v1.JPG back.JPG bottom.JPG
      I made an assembly on solidworks using parts from the openbuilds part store, ordered them and some others from aliexpress and built the first model.
      The initial test prints I did were average at best, but I think I have worked out the biggest problems and am in the process of upgrading my printer in the hope of higher quality prints.
      The BOM I uploaded is what I would buy if I was going to make another printer from scratch, using just the openbuilds part store and differs from my printer in some aspects.

      The lengths of the v-slot that I would recommend using would be 350mm for all pieces except the x-axis which must be longer, this should allow a 200*200*200+ build volume.
      Mine uses 290mm lengths and its slightly too small but still allows a 170*180*155 build volume.
      20150725_175328.jpg 20150725_191441.jpg
      With accurate cutting and filing (or milling if possible) it is possible to get a very square and rigid frame, this can be quite fiddly to get right but its worth putting in the time to get it right.
      The x-axis is mounted to the 20mm universal plates as shown below, I used 2 washers to support the middle and help stop the v-slot getting warped by the pressure of the screws. 20150714_135932.jpg

      This is the only picture I can find of the printer while it was (almost) together, ill upload some better ones once I have it all back together and upload an updated solidworks assembly. 12176351_920035491413793_369979239_o.jpg
      Since beginning the project I invested in a small milling machine and have made a much smaller x-axis plate, and made the following changes to the design.
      - changed to 3 wheels instead of 4 on the z and x axis plates as it is much easier to get even pressure on the wheels
      - swapped out the 4 start, 8mm lead z-axis leadscrews for single start, 2mm lead ones as the load on them was causing them to overdrive, I suspect this was the cause of the uneven layer heights that were produced on the test prints I did (shown on the fan shroud in the following picture)
      - made a plate for the leadscrew nut to mount on rather than running it through holes drilled in the x-axis v-slot
      20151028_203236.jpg 20151028_203009.jpg 20151028_203246.jpg

      The current state of the printer...
      More updates soon...

      Attached Files:

  • Loading...
  • Build Details

    Build License:
    • CC - Attribution NonCommercial - CC BY NC

    Reason for this Build

    I wanted to build a 3D printer, but didn't own or have access to one on which I could print the parts for one. I therefore decided to design and build one using only off the shelf aluminium components.
  • Attached Files:

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice