Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

      1. Build Progress:
        • Build in Progress...
      Rate This Build
      5/5,
      5 votes
      I first started off by going through my sketch book and decided I wanted to incorporate an idea I call the Tension 20 into my design.
      image.jpg
      It can be used in many ways and I use them in all axis of the build.
      Here you can see how they go together
      image.jpg
      Next came the side plates, I wanted something compact but strong.
      I of course incorporated my belt clip design into them, then milled a par from 1/4" 6061 aluminum plate.
      image.jpg
      For the X axis I designed my carriage around the OX's design but a little smaller yet just as robust.
      Front plate with m5 tapped holes for the leadscrew nut and lower Tension 20
      image.jpg
      Back/motor plate
      image.jpg
      I then milled a set of small spacer blocks for the Z assembly.
      image.jpg
      Next I designed and milled end plates using another idea I had floating around in my nerd.
      image.jpg
      Then a set of Z plates as I used in my OX AI build sized for 20x40
      The bottom plate is identical simply no motor mounting holes.
      image.jpg
      Back to the mill I went for some 8mm lock collars to lock the Z axis leadscrew from the openbuilds store in place.
      image.jpg
      image.jpg
      Here I lightly attach a Tension 20 to a side plate that has had the upper wheels mounted using 30mm M5 hardware in place of what comes in your wheel kit.
      I use 2 x 10mm screws for the Tension 20
      image.jpg
      Then I pinch and tighten the Tension 20 onto a scrap 20x20 v slot to adjust things just right
      image.jpg
      I did the same for the other side and mounted my motors

      As with my OX AI, spacers where needed for the Z and motors all around.
      8 three hole spacers and 1 four hole for the X axis
      image.jpg
      image.jpg

      So here are some pics of it together and I'm going to keep it short as I plan to make an assembly video on how it all goes together :)
      The motors you see where for testing and mach up

      image.jpg
      image.jpg
      image.jpg
      image.jpg
      image.jpg

      Here you see me testing the X / Y axis


      My motor order came in along with a few other iteams I needed from the store and I picked up a 3/4" sheet of MDF cut to size for the spoil board.
      image.jpg
      It has screw grubs for PCB tie down and the finish is a gloss gray rustoliom paint.

      I'm now finishing up wiring and then on to the controls :)
      image.jpg
      image.jpg
      image.jpg
      image.jpg

      So for the controls I have decided to go with a board a lot like the LD2X I designed for the Laser V
      Keeping things simple the board will allow me to run 4 step-sticks along with an Arduino Nano in a simple plug and play format with all pins broken out for output and input communication.

      Here you see me laying it out.
      The Y axis has two drivers, one for each motor and again I'm keeping it single sided for easy DIY
      image.jpg

      Here you see the test print and the positive image for my exposure unit.
      image.jpg
      image.jpg

      I then mill out some PCB and expose it on my UV setup
      image.jpg

      The board is then developed in solution cleaned/dried and inspected before drilling all the holes
      image.jpg

      Here you see the finished board with holes and then with all the parts installed and ready for testing.
      image.jpg
      image.jpg

      Here I have modified the pin out in my grbl hex and tested each driver :)


      I decided to build the relay control in the form of a module so I could add as many as I wanted for controlling spindle, vac and so on :)
      image.jpg

      I then wired them to the shield and tested them out using a little hand written code


      So I planed on using a 12vdc power supply but lucked out and had 4 small rack mount power supply's given to me.
      I took one apart and converted it into a power supply that will supply the stinger with more then enough juice ;)
      A 5 watt 10 Ohm power resistor is hooked up to the 5v rail to draw load in turn bringing the output voltage to 12.67 vdc
      image.jpg

      To give the power supply a test along with getting a chance to see how the stinger moves with the new motors, I wired it up to my board and plugged in both X / Z axis motors.
      Here is a clip of how that went ;)

      Attached Files:

  • Loading...
  • Build Details

    Build License:
    • CC - Attribution - CC BY
  • About Us

    The OpenBuilds Team is dedicated helping you to Dream it - Build it - Share it! Collaborate on our forums and be sure to visit the Part Store for all your Maker needs.


    [email protected]

  • Like us on Facebook

  • Support Open Source FairShare Program!

    OpenBuilds FairShare Give Back Program provides resources to Open Source projects, developers and schools around the world. Invest in your future by helping others develop their future.

    Donate to Open Source