I purchased a Routakit SD 1000x1500 kit online and found after putting it together per the instructions, I was NOT happy with the results at all.
I proceeded to read and get ideas from the Builds forum here at Openbuilds, as this is where Routakit had purchased quite a few pieces to my kit.
I first removed ALL the V Rails and purchased Nuts, bolts and spacers from the Parts Store. (later I also purchased new Extreme wheels that I have recently installed) designed and built my own side plates out of .375 aluminum, which I made 2 inches taller, and installed the wheels so they ran in the V Grooves of the C Rails.
I found that this made the spindle very accurate.
I then put extra 20x40 extrusions to strengthen the base of the machine.
I have since changed the NEMA 23 stepper motors that came in the kit to NEMA 23 High-Torque stepper motors that I also purchased from the Parts Store.
I did not like the limited uses of the Planet-CNC Controller and Program so I replaced them all with Stepperonline DT542 Stepper Motor Drivers and a Smoothstepper Breakout Board. I am now using MACH 4 programming.
The machine is working flawlessly now and below are a few of projects I have completed with it.
I thank Openbuilds Part Store for all the parts I used to complete this update.
Reworked Routkit SD
I could not "tram" the spindle to the table. I found that the V Rails could not accurately be adjusted so the Gantry was equal distance from the spoilboard in multiple places.
- Build License:
- CC - Attribution - CC BY
Reason for this BuildI was NOT happy with the kit I purchased from Routakit