I am updating this mill for use in my classroom. We have several across the district, and inherited a couple more without their control boxes/ISA cards.
At this point:
What got connected where:
- all axis and end stops are connected and functional
- the 1hp (5000 rpm) spindle is working through the analog 1-10v
- the manual controls on the mill for the spindle and E-stop function
To Do List:
- There are 2 @ DB9 Connectors and [email protected] DB15 Connector. I have attached how I connected them to the BlackBox controller.
- I use screw terminal breakouts and 20AWG 4 conductor wire to connect the breakouts to the Blackbox controller.
- For power, I connected both the spindle power cord (mine was a IEC 320 C13, I've seen some with a standard ground plug) and the main power cord to 120v. The Blackbox needs a 24v supply.
- The Steppers are Slo-Syn Motors M063-CS06 3.36VDC 2.9 Amps, 200 Steps/Rev, they are eight pin motors, but the original harness is only using four pins.
- Figure out travel distances
- Collect and add the GRBL settings.
- Build Enclosure for controller, power supply, and cable breakouts.
Close Up of stepper motor panel
X Axis Cover Removed
Back panel removed showing spindle control
Pro Light 1000 CNC Machining Center Rebuild
Replacing the Pro Light control box with a Open Builds BlackBox.
- Build License:
- CC - Attribution - CC BY
Reason for this BuildModernizing a classroom mill to make it easier to work with.
Qty Part Name Part Link Comments 1 BlackBox Motion Controller https://openbuildspartstore.com/blackbox-motion-control-s... Link 2 DB-9 Female Breakout https://www.amazon.com/Breakout-Connector-Serial-Terminal... Link 1 DB-15 Female Breakout https://www.amazon.com/Sysly-D-SUB-Terminal-Breakout-Rive... Link It's two rows like an old PC joystick connector not three rows like a VGA connector 1 20 awg 4 conductor wire https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RHV5K5F?ref_=pe_1815430_2119... Link