Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

      1. Build Progress:
        • Build in Progress...
      Rate This Build
      0 votes
      I have recently been upgrading and improving my Prusa i3 derivative so that it no longer looks like the original thing I built but has much better print quality and more bells and whistles. Unfortunitely I then saw a youtube video about a 3d printable violin, that requres at least one print dimensio to be 30 cm!

      Sooooo, I have decided to create a new build from scratch, everything designed by me hardware wise, with a multi colour print head up top, a z axis moving hot plate on decent lead screws rather than the cheap ones off ebay, and a 50cm cubed (approx) print area.

      After spending 3 days trying to import STEP files with the openbuild models and failing dismally, I looked in some of the forums and found FreeCAD seemed to be able to import them and I decided to try that. Please note that I have absolutely no experience in CAD and so this is still a learning curve. I have made a box, with two c sections on the outside to allow the Z axis to utilise as much of the 50cm height as possible, and I am going to have the X/Y hardware also outside the box with a single mixer nozzle so that there are no extra offsets due to multiple extruders.
      To keep the print head as light as possible, I amd going to have a raft above the print area for the extruder motors and use bowden extruders to the print head.

      Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated!

      The C-beams have been moved out to allow the z axis more travel room, end plates ,moving z axis plates and flexible couplers added. The Z motors have been moved out of the way in an 'exploded' diagram fashion.
      I am still learning the CAD although it is a bit easier and I am currently playing with designs to give the print head as much x/y movement as possible.

      the very basic image of what I am thinking of doing has changed radically, I have worked out how to cut out bits and cur lengths down in FreeCAD. The main change is altering the top and bottom vslots supporting the z axis workings from single to double. The next staage will be changing this to tripple with the cut out across two spand. This should allow the z axis plates to have a greater movement and stop the loss of z direction when the plate hits the support struts.Stepper motors and base plates added.
      1. Special Notes

        A quick bit about me,
        Fat, Ugly, Boring, Nerd... who has heard that sexy women like honesty

        seriously though I am out of work due to long term illness which affects my concentration. My first printer, a Prusa i3 derivative took almost 3 years to build as when things went wrong or I hit a snag, I couldn't face doing anything for several months.
        My health is improving to the point where getting back to work is a distant, but now plausable idea and as I was an Electronics engineer, I want a project to reconnect with my old job. Also in this case, learn a bit about CAD too
      Rui Vasconcelos likes this.
  • Loading...
  • Build Details

    Build License:
    • GNU (GPL3+) General Public Licence
  • Attached Files:

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice