The idea is to make a Plasma CNC able to cut a full sheet of metal, investing as less money as practically possible. I am using my wiki to store the files and develop the project. When its done I will update this one, but at the meantime the development stuff are there. The Master CAD is there, but if anyone want to edit some individual part letme know since I have not yet upload them. (
CNC Plasma v0318 - Open Source Tools
The main features are:
I have modified the Y gantry plates to be able to accept the 20x80 X-axis V-Slot rail and changed the orientation of the motor mount by 45° because I mount it at the other side of the plate. The wheels are now at the outer sides of the table, just below the motor. This change was necessary in order to maximize the usable width of the table to fit my 4'6" target, and to protect the plastic wheels and belt from the hot plasma.
I also modified the X/Z gantrys to accept the 20×80 V-Slot X rail and make it a little thinner to accept a 20×40 Z-axis V-Slot rail. This was necessary to fit my target of 4'6" cutting width
Even though the table should be square and sound, any imperfections on the Z axis, will be absorbed from the THC. The plasma torch do not stress the railing system (no contact with the cutting material).
But it this structure is going to double as a router, maybe double belts, and extra care on bracing should be needed.
- X railing is a 20x80 V-Slot 1500mm
- Each Y railing is made of  pieces of V-slot 20×80×1500mm connected together with a 3 3D printed inserts (one betweent each 20mm portion), reinforced with Quad Tee Nuts.
- The Y railings are bolted at 3 posts. (One at each end, one at the railing joist.The cyan color on the CAD)
- The slats (are not showing in the CAD for clarity reasons) are 3" wide flat bars that are inserted to cuts that are made to a 2.5" angle steel. They are resting on a 1" flar bar that is welded to the 2.5" angle.
- The table is made of 1"×4" rectangle tubing
Colossal Tech Cut-50F Plasma cutter
CNC shield v3.1 ./ Arduino UNO/ DRV8825 step drivers
Nema 23 step motors
Proma THC SD for height control
Linux CNC for open source (Mach3 as a latest resort) g-code sender
Freecad/ Path workbench for opensource (SheetCAM as a last resort) CAM
Plasma CNC, 4'6" × 8'8" v0318
A plasma table able to cut 4'6" x 8'8" sheet. Low cost as possible.
- Build License:
- CC - Attribution - CC BY
Reason for this BuildBecause I need it to cut other equipment thatI am designing
(firewood processor, grapple, Compressed Earth Block, etc)
Open Source Tools
Inspired byOX CNC