Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

      1. Build Progress:
        • Build Complete!
      Rate This Build
      0/5,
      0 votes
      As this is my first CNC build, I could hardly figure out where to start. I did tons of reading and eventually stumbled on OpenBuilds. Seeing other people’s builds really helped me visualize how I wanted to build my machine. A big shout out to Kyo, as his Sphinx build manual was probably the best reference I could have ever hoped for.

      I started modeling the design in SketchUp to help nail down a parts list. The OpenBuilds SketchUp library was extremely helpful here.

      cnc.png
      cnc2.png

      Parts arrived! I had no idea the shipment would be this heavy. Everything was so meticulously packed, A+ on packing the order.

      20171201_214101.jpg

      Early test fitting components. The two Y-axis actuators and the base have been assembled. The X-axis gantry can be seen in two pieces here.

      20171203_142651.jpg

      The X-axis gantry mounted and the Z-axis actuator assembled.

      20171208_115648.jpg

      Z-axis mounted

      20171220_143925.jpg

      Drag chains added

      20171229_143407.jpg

      The DeWalt DWP611

      20180106_102304.jpg

      This was the start of wiring, what a mess! I couldn’t stand the overly long rubber boot on the DWP611. You can see the top housing is removed here so I could trim the strain relief boot and place the power cord in braided PET sleeving.

      20180109_142908.jpg

      Router and X-axis limit switches pulled through.

      20180109_170718.jpg

      I switched to a stand-off plate for the top of the Z-axis to save some height. More wires sleeved and pulled through.

      20180128_140741.jpg

      All wiring has been sleeved and pulled through!

      20180206_124621.jpg

      ½” MDF spoiler board

      20180206_145716.jpg

      The other end of the wiring needs some attention. At least it got labeled.

      20180206_150554.jpg

      Azteeg X5 GT stepper controller, runs Smoothieware. BSD109A drivers, and a 48V DC motor power supply.

      20180206_150629.jpg

      At this point the machine mechanical build was complete and I needed to connect up to the controller to see if everything works as planned.

      20180207_143629.jpg

      I attached a pen to the Z-axis and fire off some G-code. Everything seems to function.

      20180215_111009.jpg

      20180215_111016.jpg

      20180215_163701.jpg

      Time to move this outside so we can cut some stuff! I started just building a table, but I decided to add a monitor mount and top shelf.

      20180218_110759.jpg

      20180218_145234.jpg

      Placing the CNC on the table to test the fit.

      20180218_171240.jpg

      20180220_150730.jpg

      Starting to clean up the wiring, Intel Compute Stick mounted behind the monitor mount.

      20180220_172438.jpg

      X-axis gantry detail

      20180220_172527.jpg

      20180220_172543.jpg

      Y-axis limit switches and wire exit detail

      20180220_172601.jpg

      20180220_172618.jpg

      Riser detail

      20180220_172634.jpg

      I decided to add a pull out drawer for a keyboard.

      20180220_172704.jpg

      Lower shelf for the electronics

      20180220_172721.jpg

      All wired!

      20180222_162125.jpg

      20180222_162133.jpg

      20180222_162141.jpg

      20180222_162155.jpg

      20180222_162207.jpg

      20180222_162240.jpg

      20180222_162252.jpg

      20180222_162310.jpg

      20180222_162320.jpg

      20180222_162527.jpg

      A test drawing to check everything still works after all the wires had been shortened to length.

      20180222_172225.jpg

      First cutting operation! Preparing the spoiler board for nuts.

      20180225_145752.jpg

      Z-probe made from 22GA steel sheet from HomeDepot, seems to work very well and is very flat with a consistent thickness. Amazingly, I am only seeing a 0.1mm drop back to front, and 0.1mm left to right without bed leveling enabled.

      20180226_134738.jpg

      Designed some work hold downs in Fusion 360 to try learn more about the CAD and CAM process there. They turned out really nice, but haven’t used them yet. Tolerances were +0.01 to +0.03 over actual modeled dimensions, I can live with that!

      20180227_174244.jpg

      20180227_213620.jpg

      My biggest concern with OTiS was not using machined riser plates. I wasn’t sure this design of X-axis attachment to 20x40x250mm V-slot beams was feasible. So far, it looks good. There is very little flex or torsion in the actuators.

      Parts list and SketchUp model attached, and please let know any questions! I have learned so much during this build and it wouldn’t have been possible without OpenBuilds and the community around it. Thanks!
  • Loading...
  • Build Details

    Build License:
    • CC - Attribution - CC BY

    Reason for this Build

    I have a passion for building/making.

    Inspired by

    Kyo Sphinx
  • Attached Files:

  • Attached Files:

    Parts list

    Qty Part Name Part Link Comments
    1 See attached file Link
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice