Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

      1. Build Progress:
        • Build in Progress...
      Rate This Build
      0/5,
      0 votes
      Hi, Folks!

      After 9 weeks of waiting i finally got my new killerbee 1515 from RatRig.
      I chose this CNC because it seemed to me to be the best in terms of stability.
      The stability can be guessed at just by the weight that the parcel carrier had to carry.

      Of course I immediately started assembling it.
      I took my time, because a precise assembly would definitely be worthwhile.

      I donated a sheet steel housing from rittal for the electrical construction.
      It houses the 24V power pack, the xpro-v5 controller and some relays for switching the loads.

      Apart from the 230v line for the router, all lines were brought out on plugs:
      - the stepper motors x/y/y2/z
      - the limit switches x/y/z (there are 2 for each axis)
      - the led lighting of the router
      - the emergency switch
      - the probe
      - a cable for a laser module (later ?)

      To be continued ...

      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      OK, here is an update... it took almost a year to pimp my CNC

      There was still a lot of work to be done:
      - The router-collet was unusable - that means: new motor...
      - A t-slot table was built, but was not strong enough...
      - The search for the right software was sobering...

      But one after anonther:

      Motor:
      I bought a 2.2 kW spindle with ER20-collet and use it with a VFD.
      The advantage of the ER20 collet is that i can use cutters up to 12mm.
      The spindle is a 80 mm air-cooled motor from vevor.
      The VFD is a cheap version with RS-485 Interface, but it was unable to use this Interface.
      After some trial and error i now use the 0-10v interface, which works reasonably well.
      The motor-start-up was a bit bumpy, but after using the autotune function, the motor was
      easy to use. Unfortunately i had an EMI problem: every time i started the engine there was
      an error with the limit switches! When troubleshooting, i found that the limit switches have
      no terminating resistor in the idle position. The solution: a 47k resistor on the limit switch supply terminals.
      IMG_20230107_131539.jpg

      IMG_20220706_193858.jpg


      T-nut-table:

      I bought aluminum c-profiles which i mounted between strips of MDF-wood.
      When clamped, however, the profiles bent.
      The solution: a fold (in German: Falz) underneath the MDF wood that partially covers the c-profile.
      Here the photos...

      Before:
      IMG_20230107_130524.gif

      After:
      IMG_20230107_130534.jpg

      Software:
      That was the biggest challenge of the last few months...
      A few more details on this later.
      In short: I was able to work and generate G-code with Carbide Create V6 without any problems.
      As of v7, G-code generation is no longer possible.

      To be continued ...

      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Loading...
  • Build Details

    Build License:
    • CC - Attribution - CC BY
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice