Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

      1. Build Progress:
        • Build in Progress...
      Rate This Build
      0 votes
      I got:
      2 Nema23 1.26Nm steppermotors for the y-axis,(2Amps at 3.6Volts)
      1 Nema23 1.26Nm steppermotor for the z-axis(2Amps at 3.6Volts)
      1 Nema23 3Nm(435oz-in) stepper for the x-axis(4.2Amps at 3.78Volts)
      Im driving the steppers with 4 TB6600 Stepperdrivers (one for each motor) controlled by an Arduino Uno with Grbl and Universal Gcode sender on my laptop.

      There will be 2 SFU1605 ballscrews for the Y-axis, 1 SFU1605 ballscrew for the X-axis and one M16x2 threaded rod for the Z-axis.

      Let's begin ;)

      (10/13/2018) I just received the first batch of 2.3 cm plywood and started building. I started with the wasteboard and drilled all holes into it. This wastboard will not be "wasted", there will be a 1cm-2cm thick MDF board on top of it.

      And this is the real life picture

      I have now assembled the linear rails on the Z-axis and they are moving pretty freely and smooth. 20181203_204413.jpg 20181203_204424.jpg 20181203_204447.jpg

      (first half 2019)
      I have now finished the Z-axis. It weighs about 7.5 Kg (16 Pounds) and a speed around 400mm/min (15.8"/min) without loosing to much torque. (I may replace that part with a proper 8mm leadscrew)
      (the backlash is removed by tilting the nuts in different directions) IMG_20190812_212750.jpg

      I have tried the same technique for the Y-axis which didn't worked that well because the resistance and backlash was way to high than what I considered good so I bought some cheap SFU1605 ballscrews from China as listed above.

      In the past few days I assembled the first ballscrew on the Y-axis. The alignment was pretty good thus the ballscrew could turn with very low resistance and no backlash(by eye). The only problem is the way i have to mount the stepper to the frame of the CNC because the stepper is so far away from the frame of the CNC and the space is very limited. IMG_20190812_213228.jpg
      Right now I just got one of the supports of the stepper in place but that one alone would be probably enough. With this setup I could achieve a feedrate of 2000mm/min (78.8"/min) with no load (so probably just for rapids) and no obvious signs of the stepper loosing steps.

      In the time between the last post and today I have done a lot of testing with the TB6600... I found out that at some feedrates and no load I am loosing steps.(like <300mm/min; >1500mm/min and at some speeds in between). With load (ca. 5-15N) I am sometimes loosing steps worth of up to 0.15mm(0.0059") or even more. I also tried different microstepping settings like 200(no microstepping), 400A(2 times) and 800(4 times) steps/rev and found out that at I am loosing the most steps without microstepping (which could be just random).


      I have now bought some other stepper driver's... There is still no Tb6600 chip in there but they seem to work for now. The work fine below 2000mm/min (81"/min)

      I have bought a 1.5kw water-cooled spindle from China (ER16 - 24k rpm) and it just arrived. I have checked all the components and everything looks fine but I didn't expect it to be that big. After setting up the VFD I tested the spindle and it is super quiet - it sounds like an electric toothbrussh ;).

      To make it short: I had to assemble, disassemble and reassemble the CNC multiple times and am now almost finished. I just need to wire up a provisional controller to get it running before I go to EMO 2019 in Hannover and can show some results . I will be there on Thursday and hopefully meet Edward Kramer .
      IMG_20190917_170939_419.jpg IMG_20190910_225001_093.jpg IMG_20190910_225001_100.jpg IMG_20190910_225001_091.jpg

      "Unfinished model of the cnc"

      Attached Files:

      1. Special Notes

  • Loading...
  • Build Details

    Build License:
    • CC - Attribution NonCommercial - Share Alike - CC BY NC SA

    Reason for this Build

    I build this to get an insight to the world of machining.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice