Here is my version of a Mini Mill, completely open source, the same as the MiniMill is and this version also uses all OpenBuilds parts but it is called 'TheMiniMill'
The Top Y/Z support is extendable to allow for larger bed / cut areas to be used.
TheMiniMill (this is the official name) uses the following profiles:
1. 2080 x250mm profile which acts as a support at the back of the frame, a bit like a crane but this support is fixed so even when the Y extendable support is fully extended this profile maintains rigidity.
2. C-Beam 4080 x 250mm for the Z axis
3. 2 x C-Beam 4080 x 250mm as the pivot / vertical support and the extendable Y/Z support, this is adjustable to provide shorter or longer Y length cuts. This is what makes this kit essentially different from the OpenBuilds minimill which has a fixed gantry set.
4. C-Beam 4080 x 350mm for the X axis / inverted
5. C-Beam 4080 x 500mm for the Y axis / inverted / dual XL plate
As you can see by the pictures its a very simple design and very easy to put together.
My version will also be available in three different styles:
1. This version, the MiniMill-Pilot, which is my pilot or beta version, which is being built so I can publish real pictures soon. Open Source parts
2. The MiniMill-Rogue, a 12mm TR leadscrew version with different end mounts, called Rogue because it uses extra parts other than those available on OpenBuilds. I have to wait a couple of weeks for the 12mm lead screw compatible plates to be made. Some Non-open Source Parts
3. The MiniMill-Rogue-S, similar to the Rogue but this version will use Steel V-Wheels and 6mm square bars in the V-Slots. Some non Open Source parts
Some pictures attached and more details to follow as soon as I can get more time.
Please send comments, any and all are appreciated.
STP File attached!
Parts List attached for USA, the UK version will be slightly different in that we will use home grown products (bolts / nuts / washers) where possible.
Extendable Mini Mill
Another MiniMill, different to the OpenBuilds version and potentially more flexible because of the design.
- Build License:
- CC - Attribution - CC BY
Reason for this BuildBecause I wanted a MiniMill for my garage.