Here are some of the features that I have designed into the build.
- 1500 mm x 1500 mm C Beam gantry.
- It uses a double belt system that I developed
- 6.5 inch Z axis
- ball screws on Z with 16 mm linear slides.
- I am using 2 400 oz./in motors on X
- I am using 1 400 oz./in motors on Z
- I am using 1 800 oz./in motors on Y
- Using Mach 3
- Fusion 360 for design
- 6 Axis NVEM CNC 200KHz Ethernet MACH3 Card Breakout Interface Motor Motion Board
- using DM860 A stepper drives for two nema 34 motors ( X axis ) and one DM860 A stepper drive for the Y.
- there will be many tools mounted to the gantry. laser etching, Plasma, Torch, and Router.
- 3 separate water tables for the plasma. this allows me to only fill one at a time Approx (15gal).
- there are two removable metal framed wooden table halves sitting over the water bed for work bench and routing.
- 4 axis wireless pendant.
- All of this is setting on a 2 x 2 x 3/16 tube steel frame that allows for tool storage on the bottom.
I machined these couplers So I could use two sheaves. When machining these you must make sure they stay concentric.
Here are the two sheaves mounted on the coupler.
Here I drilled two holes in the C-beam and used the mounting bolts to hold the belts in place.
Here I used extra long bolt to mount the plate. The belt-tensioner slides on those two bolts. I slipped a piece of a black zip tie on top of the belt. I tightened the first one to tight and broke the belt.
Now she is all painted and the wire track is mounted.
X axis Mount.
The bottom of this picture shows panagraph arm that will hold my laptop.
Electrical will come soon!!!
This is my my rough layout. I have (2) 60 volt 5.9 Amp power supplies one for the two 400 oz/in motors and 1 for the 800 oz/in motor the third power supply is a 12 volt 60 amp power supply for the Z axis. You guys and Gals might ask why I used that combination. Well, simply because that is what I had left over from my other builds. I typically like to use the highest voltage that the driver can handle. That is not the case this time. The third DM860 driver is for a 4th axis (Rotary). The Controller is a NVEM 6 axis Ethernet controller. The relays up top are for the router, emergency stop and then one more will be added for a torch solenoid.
I am building a multi tool CNC. I plan to have a quick change tooling system that will accept Routers, oxy acetylene torch, Plasma torch. etc. there will be a water bed under the convertible router table / work bench. The inspiration to build this machine is from having a small garage and not a shop.
- Build License:
- CC - Creative Commons Public Domain (CCO 1+)
Reason for this BuildI am a tinkerer and this machine will help me get my TINKER ON!!
Inspired byNot one build has inspired me. but I have to give open builds Props. I have been collecting parts for along time to build a cnc gantry style machine. However I fell in love with the open build belt drive system and this made me change my plans and I am now building a C beam.