Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

      1. Build Progress:
        • Build Complete!
      Rate This Build
      1 votes
      Hi There,

      In one of my other build logs I mentioned that I needed to improve my dust collection, so I spent a bit of time looking at all the different kinds of designs our there and selected one with the brush style edging.

      I ordered the 2 inch flexible brush from Amazon.ca. 36 inches was about 20 dollars Canadian. I already had some 10 mm lexan.

      In the files section you'll find the Sketchup model of the Z axis with the dust shoe parts attached. You'll also find another file that has the SketchUCam profiles as well as all the GCode I used to cut the parts out. If you do use the files please ensure you review them thoroughly before cutting anything and make any adjustments as necessary.

      This is what the base part that attaches to the router looks like - similar to other designs out there. In the original design I had three aluminum alignment post inserted into this plate, you can see them in the picture. These have been removed in the final design.

      I don't have a picture of the bottom part on its own. Needless to say it is oval with grooves milled into it that the brush fits in. Here is a picture of the completed bottom part assembly. You can see the grooves and other features. As with other designs I use magnets from Lee Valley to hold the too parts together. I chose the 1/4" rare earth magnets.

      Here is the first assembly of this dust shoe fitted to the machine and cutting out a part.
      20200207_152613.jpg 20200207_153227.jpg 20200207_152640.jpg

      One of the main issues with a brush type design that I read about on the forum and experienced, is the resistance the bristles have to downward force. Without some type of deflection of the bristles there is an effect on the Z axis.

      20200207_152624.jpg 20200207_152633(0).jpg 20200207_152633.jpg

      So I cut out a part that fits inside the brush and forced the bristles out on an angle. This picture (repeated) is the first version of the part. After successively moving the part closer to the Lexan (decreasing the spacing between the wooden part and the plastic), the bristles naturally bent further and further out - until the part broke on me. It was only some cheap thin plywood (underlayment).

      So we cut a new part out of 9mm Baltic birch plywood and installed it - success!! The profile of the inner Baltic birch part is the same as the Lexan part that holds the brush - except it was then edged on the router with a 45 degree bevel. Once installed the bristles bent out perfectly. Now with downward force on the brush, the bristles bend out with almost no upward resistance.
      20200209_180113.jpg 20200209_180120(0).jpg 20200209_180129.jpg

      Here is the view inside and on top of the brush. As you can see the holes that used to be used for the alignment pins now have screws holding the wood part in place. I placed magnets in the mating holes on the plastic part that attaches to the router - so I have a total of 7 magnet fixing points between the upper and lower two plates.
      20200209_180235.jpg 20200209_180249.jpg

      A view of the part that attaches to the router.

      It works great!


      Attached Files:

  • Loading...
  • Build Details

    Build License:
    • CC - Attribution - CC BY

    Reason for this Build

    Improve overall dust collection.
  • Attached Files:

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice