Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

      1. Build Progress:
        • Build Complete!
      Rate This Build
      0 votes

      Lead screw whip:

      My stock 1515 was not one with the longer lead screws & tension assembly method. It whipped. I designed a simple add-on plate that attached to & sat just behind the existing end plate. It let me move the bearing and nut back with enough room to adjust & tension the lead screw.


      Gantry twist:

      I joined (2) C-beams back to back.They're mechanically fastened with a series of 8-32 socket cap screws & spacers. The 8-32 spacers are .250" diameter & register nicely in the slots of the extrusion - they're what kept the beams aligned during assembly. Strips of 3M VHB tape further bond the rails.

      X rails:

      I mounted 15mm rails on the top and bottom of the gantry beam. I drilled & tapped the extrusion to mount the rails.


      Gantry cart:

      (4) HGH15 bearing blocks are mounted via brackets to a 3/8" aluminum plate. The top bracket is fixed & the bottom is slotted so I could let the rails set the position before locking everything down.

      The whole Z axis attaches to (4) studs on the cart. Easy on, easy off... easy maintenance.


      Z axis:

      1/4" aluminum plate; 15mm rails. 16mm x 250mm ballscrew. Pretty typical, except that I kept everything as compact & light as I could.

      I decided to wait until this was built to decide where & how I'd mount my limit switches. I ended up adding a bracket to the side (white in the picture). I had planned for a 2nd limit switch on the bottom & still might add it but haven't felt that it's necessary yet.


      Router mounting:

      Behind the standard Openbuilds router bracket is a plate with eccentric nuts that'll allow me to tram the router from side to side. The plate includes holes to attach a second router bracket if I decide that the single bracket isn't stiff enough (so far, it is).

      Dust collection:

      I designed it to accept the Suckit Dust Boot, which in my opinion is the best dust boot on the market. It's Z axis independent, so it stays in contact with the work surface & doesn't raise & lower with the router. it's also easy to take on & off & lets you see the end mill while cutting.


      Small details:
      • I redesigned the gantry end plates to minimize leverage from the heavier Z axis.
      • The inner gantry end plates are shortened slightly to allow the Z axis to pass over them, slightly increasing usable space.
      • The front (Y axis) end plates are redesigned to get rid of extra metal & unused mounting holes. I also included open ended slots to make servicing the lead screws easier.
      1. Special Notes

        All parts were designed in SolidWorks. A single file containing all parts is posted in the files section - eventually I'll break this all out & provide a BOM.
      WOPR73, brahms, Pidiln and 3 others like this.
  • Loading...
  • Build Details

    Build License:
    • CC - Attribution - CC BY

    Reason for this Build

    I moved from a Shapeoko XXL to a Workbee 1515, to gain cutting area. The increased size meant more twist & flex in the gantry (compared to the Shapeoko) and my goal was to improve that & to at least match the capability of the Shapeoko.
  • Attached Files:

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice