Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CubeSpawn 3 Axis Mill

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by CubeSpawn, May 27, 2014.

1. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

CubeSpawn published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Great looking project @CubeSpawn Look forward to following along with the progress :)

CubeSpawn likes this.
  3. bobt

bobt Well-Known
    Builder

James I put a post up on the google+ site on a suggestion on this project.

Bob

CubeSpawn likes this.
  4. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

Awesome!, It may be blasphemy, but I'll only be modifying the existing design with regard to the motion components to OpenBuilds for now... IF a little momentum can be found for Cube building, I feel new designs will come forth independently far faster than I'd be capable of on my own... ;-)
    Also, Incremental changes to a base design means that a new concept doesn't need to be built from scratch, instead it will simply be a variation on an existing design...thereby speeding up the process...

5. bobt

bobt Well-Known
    Builder

6. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

I think I should give some more thought to a design for a "pallet mover" that can hand-off the work as its completed by a cell.
    The first run at it involved some spare rollers I had:

7. gjbroom

gjbroom New
    Builder

Thus, if I understand correctly, the exterior cube (Model 625) remains the standard, but EE trays and mech trays can be built out of OpenBuilds V-slot, Misumi 2020, OpenRail (15x15), ... whatever we want, as long as their outside dimensions match up to the insides of the 625 cube (and any other interconnection points: backplane connectors, pallet loaders, etc)

8. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

That's the goal!, and the 625 frame and carriers could be Misumi 25mm for that matter if you felt like re-rollng the frame specs - I originally had a "610" which was the whole thing done with 1 inch extrusion, but I lost confidence that subtle incompatibilities would creep in and screw everyone up at some point... The interior implementation of the "Mechanical Module" is intended to be entirely up to you!! (and the electrical/electronic as well) - it may take a bit for pin-outs and such to gel - but we are all in it together...

The pallet mover design is being implemented this week - here are some drawings and a photo, more this week after I machine the rails for the first one : if you scroll through images 50 - 56 it will be clear what I'm thinking - if anyone has a better idea, please let me know!! :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/103828779781480193226/DougSShop#6064197539893572994

9. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

Also: if I have failed to disclose something needed: i.e, dimension, thread-pitch, diameter etc, let me know, if something doesn't make sense to you, ask me and I'll try to clarify whatever it is...

I'll post the model of the pallet mover conveyor later today and review some changes I have made to other models.

10. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

11. gjbroom

gjbroom New
    Builder

Cool. Thanks. When I looked at some of the sketchup models, the mounting rails were not present and the mechanical box was exactly 550mm wide whereas recent pictures show mounting rails. OK, so rails are definitely still part of the spec based on this BOM. So now I'm trying to picture how the mechanical tray goes together, I can't figure out where all these rails go.

6 -- 400x25x12.5 aluminum barstock

2 -- 300x25x12.5 aluminum barstock [bottom rail]
    4 -- 300x25x12.5 delrin barstock [middle and top rail]

The 400mm long bars mount onto the mech tray and the rest of them mount onto the outer cube frame? Here's a picture of what I'm thinking. My poor 3d drawing skills are attempting to show one side of the outer cube frame. The mechanical tray would have rails on the corresponding cross pieces, so it would end up sitting 25mm above the floor when slid in.

Or am I off-base?

Attached Files:

12. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

Looking through the images and sure enough, I mentioned it in passing and never illustrated how the rails are mounted, or taken a clear picture of them:

so: SlidingRails.png
    here is a render, and I'll take a clear picture next week -- here is a picture of the rails, lying on top of the cubes...
    The botton rail is aluminum for stiffness and support, the top one on the frame and the middle one on the module are delrin for low friction

https://picasaweb.google.com/103828779781480193226/DougSShop?noredirect=1#6057749851482539826

13. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

14. cor5151

cor5151 New
    Builder

I like this idea! but i don't have a space or monies to build one, but this could work great on a much smaller scale.
    I'm thinking a cd/dvd drive powered pcb factory or candy maker.. only way i could adopt this as a nother thing to work on.

15. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

Hey cor5151, the design intentionally accommodates a 300mm cube for tabletop applications like the ones you mention, I'd love to see a 4 head, 300mm Pick &Place design, but we are tied up getting the 600's together right now... the next big push will be on trying to get ROS integrated into the 3 machines proposed in the current demo array:

https://picasaweb.google.com/103828779781480193226/DougSShop#6067573117148309650

16. cor5151

cor5151 New
    Builder

That looks like a really fun project! i'm currently building my first 3 axis cnc with stuff i bought here, so i'm totally new to that, although a little better with robotics, and been building/working on 3d printers for the better part of this year.
    I'm currently printing parts for my cnc and could probably use some pointers on it, just need to finish it. I want to cut aluminum eventually and i'm curious if 290oz nema 23's and a 10krpm makita angle grinder converted to a spindle would be decent for that. also going to use gt2 belt for starters because i've got it, but want to use screws once i can. overall size of the build is about 3ft y axis by 4ft x axis, prob only 6-7in on the z axis. using openbeam extrusions with 2x open rails on each side in abs printed box with 8 wheels on each side of the y rails, and 1500mm 20x80 vslot for x, will cut it down and use some of that for z axis too.