Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CubeFoot CNC

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by andrew, May 7, 2014.

1. andrew

andrew New
    Builder

andrew published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

WOW please tell me you are going to be sharing a parts list and instruction for this build!
    Great job looking forward to seeing some cutting videos as well :thumbsup:

3. Anthony Webb

Builder

Really interested in this as well, Where are your stepper hiding and what kind of spindle do you have?

4. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Excellent looking machine Andrew :thumbsup: we definitely need to see more details of this build. ;)

Tweakie.

5. andrew

andrew New
    Builder

Thanks guys. I'll try to get a sketchup model together when I have time. The steppers are a bit hidden. I tried to arrange them in the best way possible to use the limited space. The z-axis stepper was moved to the back of the gantry to counterbalance the spindle and reduce height. The spindle is the 400w dc model commonly found on ebay.
    [​IMG]

Mark Carew likes this.
  6. Mark Carew

Very clean and compact build :thumbsup:

7. DSardano

DSardano New
    Builder

Very nice. Seems like the work area is larger that the 14cm x 14cm you've indicated. Maybe its just the photo. Whats the Z axis range ?

8. Protodrake

Builder

Man thats sweet! Super jealous. May have to build one before building a laser cutter..... :D

9. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

Its a beauty! and I have a soft spot for this sort of thing (300mm cubes, O'course) and while I am not (yet) using any openbuilds components - I have watched to introduction and maturing of this concept with keen interest.
    I have a related project (related to small CNCs) called CubeSpawn

Website http:/cubespawn.com
    Pictures picasaweb.google.com/103828779781480193226

10. Mark Carew

@CubeSpawn We think this is a great open source project and have placed you on the donation list for the OpenBuilds FairShare Give Back Program. Your project is a perfect candidate :)
    Maybe we could see a future OpenRail/V-Slot version of CubeSpawn (FMS) ;)
    We wish you success with the future of the CubeSpawn project.
    Mark

11. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

@CubeSpawn,

Very interesting project, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Do you have any videos of a CubeSpawn machine in action ?

Tweakie.

12. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

Not really, but I'll be happy to post one as soon as I finish the new smoothieboard/R-Pi control stack -its ROS (Robot Operating System) over Raspbian, commanding smoothie - using MTConnect for cube to cube messaging and distributed control.

Earlier attempts have not been suitable in my opinion, lacking either power/fidelity/interoperability or reliability so the quest continues...

http://www.raspbian.org/
    http://www.ros.org/
    http://www.mtconnect.org/
    http://smoothieware.org/

13. Agamemnon

Agamemnon New
    Builder

I love it!
    Having had this for a while now, what are your lessons learned, mods, future build plans or wishlists? Appreciate your thoughts!

14. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

I'd really like to build a turning center and a surface grinder to complement the 3 Axis mill and the 3D printer. Other things needed are a pallet transporter to move work between machines, a tool changer and tool magazine that adjoins a mill, a tool setter cube, a tool grinder cube, a modular fixturing cube, an assembly cube, a pass through chop/cold/band saw whose maintenance can be automated... ;-) not all that much, really!!

I'm also re-thinking how the mechanical module fits into a cube, thinking it should have a track to roll in on at the bottom of the frame, (from the pallet/module transporter) rather than a friction rail at midpoint...

For the future - I'm hoping to get design help from communities such as OpenBuilds, and maybe CNCZone to spread this micro-factory Concept - if we all build to an interchangeable standard, then everyone benefits from anyone's efforts - combine that with a standard set of controllers (or at least standard interfaces) and we can leverage each others work - I want every Walmart in the world (or whomever has the big stores, locally) - to vacate their retail space for the regional factory - (they have already built at the best current demographic nodes ;-)

Throw in materials recycling designs, and small power plants and it could transform the worlds economy - Recycle all materials, use locally generated power (I am working on a Cactus->bioGas->methane->Fuel Cell system for here in TX - much smarter than Fracking for the LONG term) as well as a pyrolytic gassifier (wood->internal combustion->electricity) solar thermal (similar to gosol.org) and of course PV and wind. Commiting these designs to digital templates that can be made on the machine arrays could accelerate the adoption process.

Everyone is invited to participate, and reap whatever benefits you can - I feel that owning an array of machines will be a licence to "print" your own material wealth at whatever level you desire.

Sorry for the big answer to your short question, but I'm pretty committed to this concept ;-)

15. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

OH! and here is a shameless plug to try and get votes for CubeSpawn on the NASA TechBriefs Contest: goo.gl/xXlmfT
    It is a bit of a pain: you have to create an account to Vote and they seem to want a lot of info...
    But! think of the benefits of having CubeSpawn!

#15 CubeSpawn, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    Mark Carew likes this.
  16. CubeSpawn

CubeSpawn New
    Builder

Hey Mark, FINALLY circled back around to this concept - it has been an action packed 3 months!! how would I round up a set of v-rails to build the motion for one of these machines? does Fairshare provide them at reduced cost? as engineering samples? ;-)
    I think I would emulate one of the existing examples, just fit it to a module...