Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC FOR EVERYONE!

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by John J Talavera, Mar 16, 2014.

1. John J Talavera

Builder

John J Talavera published a new build:

Read more about this build...

Josh Mascote likes this.
  2. Josh Mascote

Builder

Looks good!

I take it by the dimensions this is something you are trying to kit it out or something?

Doesn't look like something you can do unless you already have a CNC mill.

3. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known
    Builder

yeah that's a big factor. People who already have a cnc will not need it. People who don't have a cnc won't be able to make it. It's like a catch 22. Look at the routy and follow that example. Make a better routy... It is something you can just order the parts and get working, no cnc required.

Pawlenko M likes this.
  4. PAULE

PAULE New
    Builder

:D -Awesome-John J Talavera- :D

5. Shachar

Shachar New
    Builder

Hi John. This looks great. Can you specify which controller board and motors you are using ?
    Thanks.

6. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Excellent work John, I love the way you have shaped the plates. :thumbsup:

Tweakie.

7. John J Talavera

Builder

Thanks for the great comments. I am fortunate enough to have access to an assortment of industrial machinery. My goal for this project was to sell it as a kit or as a complete finished product. I am still missing the powder coating and an optional set of legs. The purpose was to build a machine using mostly user freindly easy to find replaceable parts. To have a distinctive look and to be priced fair. Planet-cnc and probotix are my electronic suppliers. The first finished machine is being donated to my sons robotics class, of course i will have to enclose it in a lexan box.

Pawlenko M likes this.
  8. John J Talavera

Builder

My shop has 2- 4x8 cnc routers 2-3000watt lasers, full cnc brake press capability, 3 mazak vtc-20 one mazak intergrex one mazak nexus and a whole lot of other deadly toys.

Pawlenko M, bobt and Robert Hummel like this.
  9. John J Talavera

Builder

at a shop I worked at we had 3 CNC routers 1 gerber, 1 laguna and we bought the last one as a kit. Most people that own shops are scared of building machines, they like to open a box and plug it in from my experience. Either way i was tired of looking at the shark and I Carve and seeing how overpriced and structurally lacking they were. So I am trying to offer something more. Table size is 32" X 58.5" cutting capacity is 26" X 50"

10. John J Talavera

Builder

A special thanks to Openbuilds for helping me out due to UPS and there drivers who are to lazy to ring a door bell.!!!

Mark Carew likes this.
  11. Josh Mascote

Builder

I totally get that. That is why I am going to build my own one day (currently only have a Shapeoko 2), it not always about the end product. A lot of times, it's the journey to get there. You learn a lot along the way, and repairs are going to be much easier if you know it inside and out. That's what makes OpenBuilds a really good starting point from my "tinkerer" view point.

P.S. I think it is awesome that your build will enable more people to have a larger machine in some sort of kit form.

12. John J Talavera

Builder

Thanks Josh. The reason I did not go with off the shelf structure and did the custom pieces was because I really like shape and form with functionality.

13. damauk

damauk New
    Builder

What is the purpose of the tubes that run parallel to the sides of the gantry plates?

14. John J Talavera

Builder

Damauk.. the tubes just make it look cool... actually the tubes help with the wiring and some structure.

15. John J Talavera

Builder

paint should be done by Thursday.. Cant wait to post final pictures.

16. John J Talavera

Builder

After looking at the Routy it seems like a great little starter machine. I just think machines should not only function but look aesthetically pleasing. I am going to offer the aluminum parts as a kit, all you have to do is buy the balance of the parts from Openbuilds and your choice of electronics. Assemble and your all done.! Or I will produce this as a finished machine ready to plug in. Everyone should have a chance to own there own fully functional CNC router.

17. John J Talavera

Builder

within the next week the table top 18" X 18" CNC router table top model will be complete. cant wait to launch. cncforeveryone.com and for everyone that wants to see my creative upbringing visit my personal website www.profabricator.com thanks to everyone for the support. I have been taught by some best people in the fabrication world... A special thank you to all of them..!

18. damauk

damauk New
    Builder

I assumed there was some structure that was added but wasn't certain if that was the only reason. The tube does seem to tie in really well with the overall aesthetic of the machine. I really like machines that have hidden wire chases, it looks so much better IMHO.

I can speak first hand to the lacking structure of the CNC Shark, in particular the "Pro Plus" version. I bought one as my first machine and within about 3 months discovered the table had no rigidity or flatness and both the x and y axis sagged because they are made with unsupported linear rails. These two major faults make it incredibly difficult for me to use the machine as I intended to use it to engrave nameplate labels and edge lit acrylic signs.

Overall I paid right around $3700 for the machine of which probably close to $900 was for Vectric VCarve Pro and Cut3D. So I guess if you take that out of the equation you are looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $2800 for the machine itself which I have to say is probably about $1000 to much for what I got. I just wish a machine like this or the Routy was around when I started looking for my first machine (I bought mine in 2011).

Are you planning on releasing your design open source?

19. John J Talavera

Builder

I am going to create an open source design for another router that does not need a CNC to produce it. As for the 2 routers that I have in production currently those are for funding my take over the world plans...! I am also trying to do a kickstarter for my production routers and laser. Utilizing a company like Open builds for the hardware makes a world of change in making my machines. www.profabricator.com www.cncforeveryone.com

20. John J Talavera

Builder

Creating an open source machine would be done by using parts that are readily available. That would be my goal when creating an opensource design. My machine is a proprietary design. Like member the dude says create a better routy....

21. John J Talavera

Builder

Damauk, I feel your pain with having a router that has chatter marks when routing color core, rowmark or any other material. I am an architectural fabricator and signage was a big part of my daily routine so when doing Braille dots and cutting small letters with VHB tape on the back having a structurally sound router is very important. Having a stable level machine when routing two color material for name tags and so forth is priceless. My machine is ready for all of that and more. Including chemetal, thick acrylic, aluminium, brass, plywood and many more.

22. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Well-Known
    Builder

Curious as to what you think of Kram's OX build? I'd like to see some close ups of the gantry

23. John J Talavera

Builder

I think the machine is great. The only thing I did not like was the motor mount. Our machines are similar except for the drive system.
    I also feel the gantry of the ox needed to be beefed up to prevent deflection. I am going to post final finished pictures of my machine today.

24. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Well-Known
    Builder

I agree the gantry is probably the weak spot. I do have some critiques of your gantry plates though. The v wheels seem to be very close together, that combined with the very long gantry plates seems as though it would create alot of leverage. I would spread the gantry v wheels out a bit to counteract those forces.

on a side note the X axis gantry with the openrail looks quite beefy. I like it

25. John J Talavera

Builder

Correct my side plates do look long and like they would pose a lot of leverage but most of it just goes up and is not actually that tall. I will post new pictures now of the completed machine. You can see from the photos the structure sits as low as possible to the cutting force area DSCN0230.JPG

26. John J Talavera

Builder

27. John J Talavera

Builder

28. John J Talavera

Builder

29. John J Talavera

Builder

I also have an adjustable Z

30. John J Talavera

Builder

The Mighty router is finally done...! better out of the dark hole photos are coming soon

Mark Carew likes this.