Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Z motor

Discussion in 'Motors' started by josh mcconnell, Mar 3, 2021.

1. josh mcconnell

Builder

Desperately need some help I was in the middle of running a job when it stopped cutting into material now the z axis makes this loud grinding noise when I go up or down and it doesn't move thought it was the motor switched it to see and still does same thing also if I hit up it seems to want to go down I have tied everything wires took it apart I'm lost I need HELP

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Took what apart? Hopefully not the motor. Stepper motors loose their torque when you disassemble them. The stator act as a magnetic keeper

Grinding noises onset after some work is almost always one of the 4 wires broke off or badly terminated. Replace cable and recheck connectors

sharmstr likes this.
  3. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

4. josh mcconnell

Builder

I took the z axis apart cause I thought something might have been in there binding up and as far as the motor I took the the four screws out and looked inside because I thought that's what the guy was telling me to to over the email I switch motors and it worked on the x axis so I figured the motor is good but when I hit the button to move the z it sounds so bad and loud it's so weird the machine has been working great until today in the middle of a job should I buy a new motor if I open the one thanks for replying I really need to fix this and I'm lost

5. josh mcconnell

Builder

6. Peter Van Der Walt

If you didn't remove the rotor from the stator it may have survived. See How to scrap your steppers/servos quickly!

Before replacing motor (least like part to break) check the wiring

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes, see the symptom description in the page linked to you :)

8. josh mcconnell

Builder

It's been running great until I the middle of this job today I'm so confused do you guys offer coming to home for help with fixing issues like this is all kind of new for me I've been trying to figure this out for 9 hours today it's a little frustrating

9. josh mcconnell

Builder

How does the wiring cause it to grind and and not move it almost sounds like it's grinding up metal like the bar the motor is attached to that's why I took that apart but that seemed all good I just order another motor just in case and new extension wire what other wire could it be

10. Peter Van Der Walt

With one of the 4 wires disconnected it shudders in place sometimes going forward, sometimes back because only one of the two coils runs. Go read the link above it explains it all

Giarc and sharmstr like this.