Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Z Homeing cycle

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by dlhoulton, May 4, 2019.

1. dlhoulton

dlhoulton New
    Builder

Hello everyone. I have a question concerning my homing cycle. I have a Workbee 1010. I'm using an X-Controller that has been flashed with Grbl 1.1f. Using OpenBuilds Control loaded with the Workbee 1010 Grbl Workbee 1010 settings. When I do a homing cycle (push the "Home all" button) in control the cycle starts. Everything moves in the right direction and all goes well. However the Z seems to move a lot faster and I notice that the "debounce" moves more than the other axis and the "Pull-off" is also more than what is set for all the other axis. For the Workbee 1010 Grbl settings that are loaded are $26=250 (hming debounce,msec) and $27=5.000(homing pull-off,mm). The X and Y are moving slow and at a steady pace and seem to operate correctly. It's just the Z that moves somewhat faster and the "debounce and pull-off" more that the others. It also seem that when I ask the Z to move say 1mm or 10mm using the "jog" buttons, It moves way more than the 1mm or 10mm command. X and Y are moving correctly and at the proper distance. Hope someone can help.

#1 dlhoulton, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
  2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sounds like your Z steps/mm is wrong. As a starting point, $102 should be set to 199.10. What's yours set to?

3. dlhoulton

dlhoulton New
    Builder

When I loaded the settings for the Workbee 1010 it set $102=188.976. The settings that I have loaded are what was loaded when I installed Openbuilds Control and chose the option for populating the settings with the Workbee 1010 opition.

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

$122 is for z acceleration. You need to check $120.

However I was just reading that the x-controller doesnt use 1/8 microstepping for the Z axis (they do for x and y) which means the starting point in the workbee config will not work. Figure out how to change the Z microstepping on the x-controller to 1/8. Or do the calculations for whatever microstepping setting the x-controller is using.

5. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

6. dlhoulton

dlhoulton New
    Builder

I was just there and read that "The X and Y are set to 8x microstepping with switches 1,3 & 4 in the "ON position. Tor the Z axis you"ll set the driver to 2x microstepping with only switches 2 & 4 "ON".
    Would that mean that on the X-Controller board I should set the Z switches the same as X & Y so that Z would be changed from 2x to 8x microstepping?

7. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

8. dlhoulton

dlhoulton New
    Builder

Thanks Sharmstr!! That did it. Working much slower now, $26 and $27 for Z match X and Y.

sharmstr likes this.
  9. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

10. dlhoulton

dlhoulton New
    Builder

Thanks sharmstr! That seemed to be the solution. All is working according to the settings.

11. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

You're still going to want to fine tune those steps. As mentioned, those are just starting value. The fine tune wizard next to the steps/mm for each axis should sort you out.

12. dlhoulton

dlhoulton New
    Builder

OK, thanks for all you help.

sharmstr likes this.