Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Z drop

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Scot Paxton2, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Scot Paxton2

Builder

Hello. I have a Workbee 1515 with a black box controller and running the openbuilds controller. I have been running this since January without an issue. A friend asked me if I could surface a piece of live edge walnut for him and I said sure, no problem. I set the piece up on the table. went into the surfacing wizard. Set my parameters (depth of cut .5mm) loaded it. Zeroed everything. When I hit the run button I got an error code 9 locked out during alarm or jog state(g1 x1279 y286000 z-5) -this error may just be a symptom of an earlier event: Alarm:1 hard limit triggered. Machine position is likely lost due to a sudden and imediatee halt. Re-homing is highly recommended. I did this, then reset my z to zero and then my x and y. I ran the code again and I got the same error. I decided to hit run again without rehoming and it drove the z axis down about 1 cm. I stopped the program and re did everything multiple times (definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different outcome). My wheels are snug, My connectors are tight to the motor and the leadscrew. My electric connectors are sound. $1=255. If anyone has any suggestions, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks, Scot.

#1 Scot Paxton2, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I had something like this happen where it was a broken z motor wire.
    Cheers
    Gary

Scot Paxton2 likes this.
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Did the error pop up right after starting the spindle? If so: spindle creates EMI. EMi created a false limit switch trigger. Limits wiring too close to router/spindle power cables? See docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Sure you zeroed Z correctly? Sure your Z is calibrated correctly? Z axis Acceleration and Max rate tuned to prevent stalling (if stalls on the way up, it will be lowered next time it heads down)?

4. Scot Paxton2

Builder

I run my spindle cable independently from all other wiring. I have ferrite cores on all my cables. All my wiring is shielded and connected to earth. I do not have a dust boot, so it is not static from that. I absolutely zeroed the project correctly. I have not moved anything and I have not changed anything. No red lights on my blackbox. Checked the cabling with a meter and no broken wires. All of my connectors are tight as are the screws holding the wire into the connections. my acceleration is set very modestly as I am not a production shop. I have done about 50 projects on this machine and have not had this issue before, it just started doing it. Thanks for the guess as I am stumped.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Still good to cross off the basics.

Run a couple air-cuts and see if you can reproduce the issue

6. Scot Paxton2

Builder

I think I found the issue. The piece I am trying to surface is about 2 inches thick. I have a .75 inch MDF spoil board and I have the aluminum channel flat on the base of the machine. When I hit play, the z axis is rising and hitting the limit switch. Somewhere in the settings, there must be a setting for a safe travel height. So with everything stacked up plus the safety height, it is limiting out. Does anyone know where the safety height setting would be?

7. Scot Paxton2

Builder

Thanks Peter. I am humble enough to have the basics pointed out. Sometimes it is the simplest things that you overlook and you just need a reminder.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. Peter Van Der Walt

The built-in wizard in CONTROL has a hard-coded 10mm clearance

Use the Gcode editor tab to find/replace the "G0 Z10" lines with something less

9. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

something less, but not negative, negative Z is cutting into the work

10. outtamindcreations

Builder

Can you tell me if you figured this out?
    I am running the Lead1515 and having the same issue you described when trying to carve a piece that is 1-1/2" thick

11. Scot Paxton2

Builder

Yes. I had to rearrange my bed so it wasn't as thick. I had my extusions too high so with that, the .75 mdf and the thickness of the stock, once the safe z hight was taken into consideration, I had run out of travel.

12. outtamindcreations

Builder

Thank you for responding. I too run 3/4" MDF for my spoil board as that was what I had available when I got to that stage of the build. Guess I will change it to 1/2" when I replace them.