Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Z-axis stopped working!

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Bferster, May 12, 2023.

1. Bferster

Bferster Well-Known
    Builder

I have a CNC that uses the Openbuilds controller. All of a sudden, the motor just stutters when asked to move.
    I swapped the X and X axis cables, and the worked, so I know it's not the motor or the wiring and am suspecting the controller.

Is there anything I can do besides replacing it?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Stuttering is almost always a symptom of wiring (one of the 4 motor wires losing contact). If the driver was damaged, you'd almost always see no output. The drivers inside the BlackBox monitors output current, so any failure in the driver would result in a shutdown. Not impossible, but with the stuttering symptom it would not be something we've seen before (being the driver).

- When swopping the Z and X, did you swop at the BlackBox or on the far end of the extension wiring.
    - Also do a test with a motor directly into the BlackBox (bypass any extension cabling)
    - Also follow the Multimeter testing procedure in docs:blackbox-x32:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation] please - it will help locate wire breaks inside insulation / terminals

Bferster likes this.
  3. Bferster

Bferster Well-Known
    Builder

When you’re tight, you’re right. The flimsy connector to the controller was bad.

Thanks again Peter!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.