Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Z axis problem

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Rod13, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Rod13

Rod13 New
    Builder

Hi
    I am having a problem with my z axis, when I press the Z+ in open build control, the the axis go down. When I press the Z- the axis go down. I have check the wires to the z motor and they are good.All the other axis are working fine. I have tried to reset the grbl setting. nothing works. Not sure happen. Ant suggestion
    Thanks
    Rod

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

What happens if you you connect your Z motor to another driver? - TURN THE POWER OFF BEFORE DISCONNECTING OR CONNECTING ANY STEPPER MOTOR. What electronics (controller) have you got?
    Alex.

3. Rod13

Rod13 New
    Builder

OK, connected the z motor cable to the y axis. It just sit there and shake, if that made sense. I fail to mention that I tried to do a home all and the z just shakes. Do you think it could be a bad step motor? Or something with the Black box. This just started today while I was sitting up a carve. I was using prior the probe plus for my xyz position.

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

From what you said - no, not a faulty motor. Z lead attached to Y motor not working means it's the lead that is faulty (almost always the problems you described are wiring faults.)
    What I suggested was connecting the Z motor to the lead from another driver - if the Z motor then behaves correctly it is definitely the Z lead.
    It could even be a break within the lead where you can't see it.
    Alex.

5. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

Turn everything off and CAREFULLY check the wires.The wires may not be inserted into the screw terminals far enough, the screws may be contacting the insulation instead of the wires, the plugs/connectors may not be pushed into their mates far enough.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

7. Rod13

Rod13 New
    Builder

OK, I did check the wiring on both ends of the cable and they are in correctly, no insulation contact. Now not sure on what you mean by driver still fairly new to CNC. What I did was take the cable out of the black box slot and put it into the y axis slot or would it work that way.(that the only way I know to test with a different driver). Or I can take the same cable and test it on another axis.

8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Either test the Z lead on a different motor, or test the Z motor on a different lead (don't forget to power off before changing any wiring). That will tell you if it's the lead or the motor that's faulty - in both cases use the Y axis slot on the blackbox because you know that works.
    Alex.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

For what is worth, motors fail very very rarely. Its almost always wiring. Either incorrect coil pairs (ignore color codes, measure them instead) or bad contact somewhere along the line.

See FAQ (theres a good reason this page exists)

10. Rod13

Rod13 New
    Builder

Ok, after more trouble shooting, I each individual wire in the cable for continuity and they check out. Also tested the wires from the motor from what I could tell they are good. I will redo the connect tomorrow for each and see if that will work.

11. Rod13

Rod13 New
    Builder

OK you guys were right on the wire. After resetting the wire connection on both end, its still would not work, then I which cable with one that work and presto, it work. I guess I will be order a new cable for the Z axis.