Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Z axis going too deep

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by eric weatherman, Sep 11, 2021.

1. eric weatherman

Builder

I have the OpenBuilds Lead 1010 40x40 that I use with fusion 360 for cad that I use for making guitars. I have been using the Openbuilds XYZ probe and remote controler and now I am starting to see that the Z depth is trying to go the full depth on on cut. I am trying to cut a 8mm depth channel for truss rod and it should do multiple depths to get to 8mm but the first pass is going way too deep almost the full depth. I've double checked wiring is all connected, multiple depths selected in CAD etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Please share your Fusion file and the g-code file so that we can see what is happening.
    Alex.

3. eric weatherman

Builder

Attached Files:

4. eric weatherman

Builder

posted below, will that work?

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Still comparing the simulation with the g-code. The first thing I notice is that you have 1/8" of stock above the model, and the g-code seems to be plunging through that until it reaches the model, then starting the truss rod slot.
    Alex.

6. eric weatherman

Builder

hmm, when I made the neck I also made fret board but that would be a separate body. According to what you are saying its like the code is trying to cut through fretboard to get to neck?

7. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

This one is way more complicated than anything I have done in Fusion @eric weatherman. Your fretboard is in the design, but not in the cam for that file - you chose a fixed size stock box for the cam setup, and made it 1/4" (1/8" above the model and 1/8" below) thicker than the model. The g-code ( I post processed it with a different post processor and got a similar result) plunges through that extra 1/8" as though it wasn't there (although it is taking the surface of the stock as Z zero) and then starts cutting the slot for the truss rod. When I changed the stock box to a relative one it behaved as I would expect it to.

Hopefully someone much more knowledgeable than me like @sharmstr or @David the swarfer will come along and explain it.

Alex.

David the swarfer likes this.
  8. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No. Its cutting through the extra stock you have above your model. Its doing this because you have "model top" set for "Top Height" in the Heights tab of your truss rod toolpath. You can change this to "stock top" and it will use the extra stock you have above your model in its toolpath calculations. But based on the rest of your tool paths and all of the collisions, I dont think this is what you want. I cant say for sure, but it seems to me that you've either A - havent yet created a toolpath to remove this extra stock above your model, or B you have set up your stock wrong in your setup (as Alex explained).

If A, then add a clearing toolpath to the beginning and leave "model top" for "Top Height".

If B, go into your setup and change Z model position to Offset from Top and set it to 0.

EDIT - You also didnt select a Z plane in your setup. Make sure you do that.

#8 sharmstr, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021