Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Z-axis Capacity

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Rink, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Rink

Rink Well-Known
    Builder

Good afternoon, everyone.
    On the LEAD 1515, the vertical 2080 extrusions supporting the gantry appear to be 330mm length, and z-axis travel is 3.5 inches. Workable material height 2.5 inches on top of a 1/2 inch spoil board.

If I wanted to use any additional clamping accessories on top of the spoilboard, for example a custom-sized vacuum fixture, then I would need additional z-axis capacity to accommodate that, right? Example, if I sometimes use a special-purpose vacuum holding fixture that that is 1.5 inches tall, then I’d probably want another 1.5 inches of z-axis capacity, correct? But I wouldn't need such fixture all the time.

Is that as simple as replacing those 330mm vertical extrusions with 400mm lengths, moving the whole X gantry up by that much? Would I also want a longer extrusion for the z-axis, to allow me to move the router up/down? Maybe 330mm instead of 250mm?

Thx, rink.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yes to all. You'll also need a longer lead screw for the Z-axis.

3. Rink

Rink Well-Known
    Builder

Thank you.

When I’m ready to get this all spec’d out, who should I contact? I’ll be looking for a fully loaded kit with shortened y-axis dimension.

Thx, rink.

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You can just order the parts you need. It sounds like all you need is the longer extrusions for the uprights on the Y and a longer z axis extrusion and screw. Order the screw 40mm longer than the Z extrusion. To order custom cut parts refer to these links:
    Customizing a Machine
    Custom Cuts and Tapping
    Contact Us for ordering the custom parts.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Rink

Rink Well-Known
    Builder

Thank you.