Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Y-Motor and Y2-Motor not running together.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by ReneX, Feb 4, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReneX

ReneX New
    Builder

Hello,

Twice now, for some reason, when I send a command to move the Y axis, only the Y-Motor moves (the Y2-Motor does not move even though the Y2-Motor is connected). When this happens, I reset / reboot the BlackBox X32 and things go back to normal (both motors move at the same time as they should).

Can someone tell me why would the Y-Motor move but not the Y2-Motor? As far as I can see, this is not a problem with the motor or the cabling.

I really need to resolve this issue as every time this happens things break badly in my custom build (prototyped with easily breakable 3D printed plastic parts).

Thanks.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. ReneX

ReneX New
    Builder

I did not look for a fault LED light, but I will next time this happens.

But let's say for now that there was a fault LED light that turned on, this would mean that the BlackBox knew that there was a fault (it was it that turned the light on) and if that was the case, why would it continue and send the signal to move the other motor? It seems to me that the logical thing to do would be for the BlackBox to stop or never start movement on the Y axis if a fault is detected on one of the motors given that no good can come out of only running one motor when the two are needed. Does that makes sense?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Sorta, but a well tuned machine is part of initial setup. Grbl does not have support for the fancy inputs and control loops you imagine (maybe in future) but not without increased cost and complexity for something that should be a non issue if the documentation is correctly followed in the first place. Good wiring, current correctly adjusted - so reliable you don't need all the belts and braces you bring up. The controller doesn't turn on the LED by the way, the stepper driver does. Seperate subsystem

David the swarfer likes this.
  5. ReneX

ReneX New
    Builder

There is more to this than meets the eye. The BlackBox itself, the BlackBox power supply, cables, motors, linear rails etc are all from OpenBuilds and connected property. I am not sure it can be done any better.

I should also mention that if I recall correctly (not 100% sure but pretty sure), this happened when the BackBox was first turned on. If you ask me, I would venture to think there is a bug somewhere during startup.

So let say that everything is perfectly setup but this still happens again? What are my options here?

6. Peter Van Der Walt

No bug. Just current Adjustment procedure to be followed.

Contact the store via Support > New ticket for further assistance, they'll be happy to help you with the current Adjustment process too

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.