Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

y axis operating at different speeds

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Nate Byl, Jan 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate Byl

Nate Byl New
    Builder

I have recently finished the construction of a Openbuilds lead 1515 cnc and everything seemed to work perfectly until I uploaded the lead 1515 profile in open builds control. At which point y-axis motor 1 started to move at 1/2 to 1/4 of the speed of y-axis motor 2. This sends the whole gantry out of square and just about breaks the corner joints. I have checked all the wiring and it all seems to be good. When I restore the machine to the original setting all axes also seem to work fine, Just very slow jog speed. Please let me know some possible solutions to this problem.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Would indeed be wiring. Y1 and Y2 are not independent from Grbl settings point of view. The step and dir signals are parallelled to both drivers.

sharmstr likes this.
  3. Nate Byl

Nate Byl New
    Builder

Hi peter,
    Thank you for you fast response, I ran new wire to the motor, and redid all the connections, and still the same issue. Is there any other possibilities of what the problem could be?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Disconnect the motors from the machine, put them on a desk, flag some tape around the shaft so you can watch them move: Then do some testing to see if the issue is related to Mechanical (i,e binding when its on the machine) or electronical (still acts funny even when machine is removed from equation)

5. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

This tells me that the LEad1515 settings are too fast for your mechanicals, which means that the Y side that lags behind is too tight. disconnect both motors and turn the screws by hand and compare the feel.

6. William Campbell

Builder

I had the same issue, check the motor wire on the one that's lagging and make sure all the wires are on top of the clamp in the connecter and not under it as mine was.

Giarc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.