Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Y axis not syching at random.

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Delco, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Delco

Delco New
    Builder

Hi , just finished a leadscrew 1000x1000 workbee build using nema23 motors , Arduino uno , protoneer shield with drv8825 drivers.

it seems to sometimes have one y Stepper lag behind when jogging , it doesn't happen everytime but mostly if I do a large 100mm jog.
    I have set driver current to 0.9v running a 24V power supply , this is where they seem happy and quiet , I had it at 1.4V but the motors would not drive properly . I can up the power supply to 36V , would that help ?

Motor specs
    • Step Angle:1.8°
    • Rated current:2.8A DC
    • Rated Voltage: 3.36V
    • Winding dc resistance(25℃):1.2Ω±10%
    • Winding inductance:2.3mH±20%
    • Holding torque:≥1.26N.m
    • Shaft diamater: 6.35mm or 1/4″

2. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

I had problems with my DRV8825s due to overheating. They would lose steps on larger jobs. Are you cooling them real well with a fan, or fans?

3. Daniel Collins

Builder

Problem temporarily resolved dropped ref voltage to 0.8v and added better cooling fan .
    Think i need to reconsider the drv8825s and find a better stepper driver solution .

4. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

I switched to the DQ542MA drivers and have not looked back. My fear was that I would be running a long job and at 90% complete they would overheat on me. For the DQ542MA drivers I used an arduino screw shield to make the driver hookups easier.

5. Delco

Delco New
    Builder

Thinking about going to the tb6600 drivers , cheap and can still hookup to my protoneer shield . did a 6 hr test cutting air last night, cooling made a big difference no steps lost but I am also worried about long term , its running at a lot lower current than is desirable.

6. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

I believe others have used those with success. Here is a post/thread that may help you. Stepper motor won't move, any suggestions? (Solved)