Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

XYZ Probe Plus with VFDs and other ground-loop inducing components

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by juansierra, Apr 24, 2020.

1. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Well-Known
    Builder

I've had the sme issue since always, but learnt to live with it. Basically I unplug my VFD whenever I needed to probe (mostly in the middle of jobs, changing bits)... which is cumbersome and feels unstable, because every once in a while my controller crashes when doing this ... until...

I just tried my very same cnc/controller/vfd/probe setup, except this time with my laptop, unplugged from the AC mains and voila!

Time to get a USB optoisolator then.

edit: BTW, and this might help other diagnose the problem. I had another issue, the trackpad of my cnc computer was unstable too. Didn't give it much thought asuming it was just "airborne" EMI from the VFD. Well, I just changed the laptop power supply's cable to an unearthed one, and problem begone. Time to resucitate my intent of having home swithces too!

#61 sergiomajluf, Apr 12, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    sharmstr and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  2. JonnyO

JonnyO New
    Builder

I had the same problem with my XYZ probe using an HP SFF PC. When I switched back to an old Surface Pro 3 it had no problems at all. Picked up a USB in-line isolator and everything has been problem-free ever since.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread, most of all to Peter for putting up with all of us. :)

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Joe D

Joe D New
    Builder

I have an X32 Blackbox that has similar problems. I have been using it for a few months now and it was all working fine. Now my XYZ Plus probe has the green LEDS on any time the ground wire is touching the spindle. I have disconnected everything from the Blackbox except for the Power plug, the Probe plug and the Computer connection to my laptop. If I disconnect the computer cord then the green LEDS go out. Im believing there might be a short in the Blackbox. I have also completely replaced every wire including the wires from the VFD, all the motor wires, all the limit switch wires and the computer connection wire. I had changed nothing from when it was all working and when it started failing.
    Thanks for any help.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

That rather indicates a short through the PC - try a different PC, or if the computer has 2-pin power plug - try flipping it around.