Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

XYZ probe not retracting

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by AndyHorn, Jan 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. AndyHorn

AndyHorn New
    Builder

Hi

I have been using my touch probe plus quite happily until today

running the XYZ probe wizard usually works fine
    but today the Z axis probe touched, the green light came on but IT DID NOT RETRACT

the bit then proceeded to the x axis function, touched but did not retract

the bit then moved towards the Yaxis and snapped

I dont want to blame the software update but this happened straight after the update

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Have you tried more than once?

3. AndyHorn

AndyHorn New
    Builder

Hi Peter

Yes I have tried more than once

I have now also tried the Automatc probe and that did retract the bit

after using the automatic, retrying the XYZ probe sequence didnt work

Andy

4. Peter Van Der Walt

5. AndyHorn

AndyHorn New
    Builder

XYZ probe plus which i am very glad i bought

I didnt think to take a log - i was p**sed at breaking yet another bit
    (a reflection on my ability as a user and not the software)

having switched everything off and had lunch, i will go and investigate more

thanks for your time

Andy

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Put the plate on something soft, like foam or a shop towel while we figure this out :)

7. Brealy

Brealy New
    Builder

Any updates on this I have the same issue with my New XYZ probe. When the machine is trying to zero Z the green light comes on when it touches but does not stop pressing down until I Abort. I also have an issue that the Z Limit switch will cause the green light to light up on the probe when plugged in. I have read the post on the VFD not being grounded properly but my VFD is not plugged in currently.

8. Brealy

Brealy New
    Builder

So I made progress. It is the Z Axis Limit switch that is causing the issue. The limit switch is normally mounted on the bottom of the Z Axis extrusion and in order to do this the switch is flipped over and then mounted. If i flip the switch over an mount it like the other limit switches then everything operates normally. Except the limit switch cant make contact anymore. I did swap the switch out with another one and same thing happens. Any thoughts

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Put it on the other side as well so it makes contact. Mount right way up (like the others)

10. William Honeycutt

Builder

I had this same issue recently. After probing Z-Axis and X-Axis, it just moved straight to the Y-Axis without attempting to lift up. Didn't break the bit, thank god. Only thing I could think of, was just a bug in the system perhaps. I had been running it basically all day, using the probe multiple times with success, until this one incident. I turned everything off, and rebooted my PC, no issues since. It does make me a little concerned that the issue may randomly happen again.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Keep an eye for a specific sequence of events, but from the number of users out there, i don't think its a bug, the probing sequence has been unchanged for many months, so the number of real world users and testing around that is significant. Perhaps rather a specific action or a bad connection or something like that :)
    But yeah, keep us posted if you find anything, interesting.

12. William Honeycutt

Builder

I don't disagree. As my old man would always say about a car accident, "It was probably the loose nut behind the steering wheel"

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  13. Shane McDoogle

Builder

I’m having a similar issue. I’m trying to use my xyz probe plus for the first time. The bit touched the plate, leds lit up but no signal goes to the blackbox so it keeps pressing down until I abort. I tested all wires for continuity and they are fine. They are wired in the correct sequence. In the probe wizard it is set to xyz probe plus. In the troubleshooting window nothing happens if I touch the magnet to the plate, but the leds still light up. Is there a setting in grbl that I’m missing, or does my blackbox have a bad connection on the pcb?

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Its important to test using the Troubleshooting tab (no use trying to probe if it doesn't reflect the status, it will just crash)

If the LEDs light up but the controller doesn't see the signal, its most likely wiring (check SIG wire in particular, not pinching insulation in terminals? Wire inserted into the terminal cage not by accident below the cage? Wire not broken? Wired into correct pin?)

You can test your BlackBox by carefully connecting SIG to GND (Do not connect V+ to GND or it will cause damage) on the plug directly at the BlackBox and checking the Troubleshooting tab. if there was an earlier wiring mishap - it would help us to know about it as well

15. Shane McDoogle

Builder

Alright, I connected sig to gnd on the Blackbox with troubleshooting open and nothing happened. I haven’t had any wiring mishaps, and I was amazed how easily and quickly I was able to wire and configure the Blackbox. I have it hooked to an MPCNC that I’ve mostly been using with a laser because I had never done any cuts with any cnc router and wanted to learn as much as I could before doing that. I’ve had this probe sitting in the unopened box until 2 days ago, and now that I’ve done some successful cuts I’d really like to use it. Thanks

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Please contact the store you purchased the BlackBox from for further assistance, or contact support.openbuilds.com > New Ticket
    Thanks

17. Tevin

Tevin New
    Builder

im currently having this issue any fixes?

18. Tevin

Tevin New
    Builder

fixed it wire connectors was bad

19. Bret Craytor

Builder

My problem is similar. I have checked the wiring, tests good with even a multimeter. Start the probe with the xyx probe plus, automatic. Most the time, it doesnt even move, but zeros the digital registers. Sometimes it will raise up, go over the plate and come down for the z. It will touch, LED's come on and it stops. Doesn't do anything else.

20. Peter Van Der Walt

Did you follow all the setup instructions in the BlackBox X32 Documentation? Didn't perhaps skip over Section 7.1 of the documentation?

21. Bret Craytor

Builder

Well, LOL, I didn't see the need for update until after my post, but then I followed the instructions for firmware update, and now my 1515 just alarms, saying Hard limit triggered. Can't get it to home, or anything. won't let me reset alarm.

22. Peter Van Der Walt

Did you skip the Grbl Settings tab > Select LEAD1515 from the list > Save and Reset step?
    Stuck Hard Limits sounds like $5 is set incorrectly (which our profiles would have set right for you)
    If its unaccesibly stuck, reflash firmware with the Flash and Erase settings option to get a fresh clean start, then load the profile

23. Bret Craytor

Builder

Okay, so sorry my head is made of stone. I didn't update the control software too. But, I just downloaded it all like only two weeks ago. LOL.. thanks for putting up with me!

All works! Did my Hello World, Came out pretty darn good for my very first CNC!

24. Bret Craytor

Builder

Okay, so sorry my head is made of stone. I didn't update the control software too. But, I just downloaded it all like only two weeks ago. LOL.. thanks for putting up with me!

All works! Did my Hello World, Came out pretty darn good for my very first CNC!

Giarc likes this.