Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

xProv5 and 3rd party Grbl fork Soft Limits

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by ChuckT, Aug 6, 2021.

1. ChuckT

ChuckT New
    Builder

I am running open build and using cnc xpro v5 and I have soft limits turned on. Everything works fine except I get an error when I try to Jog my X Axis it say soft limit errors. Only on X continuous jog if I increment I can jog
    X axis. but if I probe and try to start job I get soft limit errors immediately. Any Ideas. Love the product except for this issue

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

- Forgot to home to set the working envelope?
    - Axes Max Travel values correctly tuned?
    - Which application are you using? (CONTROL is for use with gnea/grbl 1.1 only)
    - Consider disabling Soft Limits if you cannot get it to work, and rather install a second set of Hard Limits on the other end of the axes

Might be best to approach the vendor you purchased your 3rd party controller from for tech support :)

3. ChuckT

ChuckT New
    Builder

Hav e set limits and they are correct Max travel is correct Using Openbuilds app. If I use other products everything works as expected. so I believe this is a openbuild app issue

as stated before only happens when continues Jog is used or trying to run project

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Works perfectly with official Grbl (Gnea) so if it doesn't play with the 3rd party fork for your 3rd party controller, we are unfortunately not able to assist.

Continuous calculates the maximum allowable move off a) homing b) max travel c) current machine coordinates - if your Grbl Fork or Grbl configuration does any of these wrong, or differently from Stock official Grbl, its that instance of Grbl that does that

5. ChuckT

ChuckT New
    Builder

Ok the support I expected :-(

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Unfortunately we cannot deliver the same level of support for a product we do not supply as we could have if it was a BlackBox or any of our other products - we have no way of knowing their product, 3rd party firmware and other intricacies on the same level - but I am sure the vendor you purchased from can assist you better - they should know the specifics of their product better, and I am sure they have software options available as well - CONTROL is for official Grbl builds from GitHub - gnea/grbl

7. ChuckT

ChuckT New
    Builder

yea they don't recommend CONTROL but I really like your product strang it works fine in all other apps

#7 ChuckT, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2021
  8. ChuckT

ChuckT New
    Builder

Sorry for above it doesn't make sense. I have tried 3 other products and everything works fine. So not sure what is wrong in openbuild. I talk to Spark for my controller and they don't recommend any products per say. I did find CNC commander works for me, but would have liked to stay with openbuilds product

9. Peter Van Der Walt

See above.

It works for a couple thousand BlackBox users with no complaints. Nothing special in that. It runs stock standard Grbl from github.com/gnea/grbl

Read the Grbl Wiki and make sure your homing (directions distances all of it) cartesian directions, are all correct too

Also check your compile time options - we expect full default Grbl settings (where Machine Coordinates are entirely in the negative quadrant as laid out in the Grbl FAQ)

#9 Peter Van Der Walt, Aug 7, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  10. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

You are expecting a company to support a product they don't supply or support.

That said, the Xpro V5 is an ESP32 based controller, using the ESP32_GRBL port. ESP32_GRBL is not fully compatible with GRBL. Yes it works, but you will get a errors, and some features that Openbuilds puts into it's software will either not work at all, or will work in unexpected ways.

I know this, because I use the 6 Pack universal CNC controller which is also ESP32 based and uses ESP32_GRBL port by Bart Dring.

When you configure your settings in the Xpro, it saves and stores those settings to the small storage area of the ESP32. When you then load up the Openbuilds software, it reads those configurations, and some of those settings don't exist in OB or regular GRBL.

Sending GRBL commands (your workpiece you want to mill commands) will work fine, but the Control Software is not a regular GRBL sender, it also tries to configure the machine.. and you end up with dueling configurations.

And if you want to read up more about GRBL_ESP32 go here Home · bdring/Grbl_Esp32 Wiki

#10 ljvb, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2021
    Rick 2.0 likes this.