Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Xpro V2 controller and proximity sensors

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by seamus, Dec 29, 2018.

1. seamus

seamus New
    Builder

Hi and a happy new year to you all in the next few days.
    As per title. I have xprov2 board and have just received some pnp proximity sensors. My question is do I need to change them for npn type or is there a way of using the ones I have with 5 volt input ? I understand that the limit port is normally pulled down to ground rather than the opposite which the pnp type of sensors do. Also the pnp sensors I have are the normally open type.
    Best regards
    Seamus

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Seamus, do you have the spec sheet for the ones you have?
    thanks
    Gary

3. seamus

seamus New
    Builder

4. seamus

seamus New
    Builder

The same guy does sell the npn version but after reading and watching people on internet videos they say this one works at 5 volts rather than higher voltages which would be ideal for the xpro V2 board

Best regards
    Seamus

5. Gary Caruso

This video should help, if you stick with the pnp you can invert the input function.. $6=1 (Edit!! should be $5=1 for home pins) in grbl settings.. they say 6V min but maybe 5V will work.

#5 Gary Caruso, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Mark Carew likes this.
  6. seamus

seamus New
    Builder

I think I had seen this video but became a bit confused with thinking the probe pin setting $6=1 was for When using a probe to zero x y z with a probe plate. But I’m hoping this means I can invert $6 and the pnp sensors can be used to home my xyz axis’s. So in effect I will wire The same as second option posted by Michael in this thread and just change $6=1 in grbl settings?
    CNC xPRO Driver
    Best regards
    Seamus

7. seamus

seamus New
    Builder

Thanks for the video Gary. This is where I’m confused by grbl settings to use prox sensors

$5 - Limit pins invert, boolean
    By default, the limit pins are held normally-high with the Arduino's internal pull-up resistor. When a limit pin is low, Grbl interprets this as triggered. For the opposite behavior, just invert the limit pins by typing $5=1. Disable with $5=0. You may need a power cycle to load the change.

NOTE: For more advanced usage, the internal pull-up resistor on the limit pins may be disabled in config.h.

$6 - Probe pin invert, boolean
    By default, the probe pin is held normally-high with the Arduino's internal pull-up resistor. When the probe pin is low, Grbl interprets this as triggered. For the opposite behavior, just invert the probe pin by typing $6=1. Disable with $6=0. You may need a power cycle to load the change.

Gary Caruso likes this.
  8. Gary Caruso

Sorry Yes you are correct, I think i was looking at an old GRBL settings list, $5=1

9. Gary Caruso

I'm surprised nobody corrected me on this, I was thinking more about it and the $5=1 will just decide NO (=0)vs NC (=1) operation, you still want NPN!
    sorry for adding to your (our) confusion !

Gary