Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

xPro 2, grbl1.1 and hissing steppers

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Gus Siegmund, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Gus Siegmund

Builder

Hello. I built an OX router a few years back and have been using an XPro2 controller to run it with grbl 0.9(x). I wanted to upgrade to grbl 1.1 so I could try some new software to send g-code to the router. I tried flashing 1.1 to the XPro2 but this being my first time doing this I didn't realize the board shouldn't be powered on. I used XLoader to upload the hex file but when I did this the steppers started making a small hissing noise (never heard this before) and locked up (only when powered on). XLoader said the upload had failed. I tried it again with the same results and then realized the board shouldn't be powered on. Tried it again with the power off and the same thing happened. The board will not boot up now. When I run UGCS it says something like "GRBL has not finished loading".
    Anyway, after doing some research I saw that there is a new xPro v4 with many new features so I bought that. When I hooked it up to the CNC the motors are still making the same little hissing noise. I haven't tried connecting the new board to my computer to send g-code because I think I'll get the same failure. Any ideas about the hissing of the motors? Have I ruined them? I unhooked all of them and powered them on one at a time and each one makes the same noise and locks up the axis.

Thanks in advance,
    Gus

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

The light hissing/whining/buzzing is the steppers being powered up, perfectly normal. That's the noise I had before I hooked up my ENA line to my (external) drivers. The locking is obviously from this too. You may need to change $4 if it's not disabling the steppers when not moving, because as far as I'm aware it should be, but one of the others should have more specific details on that.

Other than that, you should be good to go.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Xpro v2 should have $4=0. Only V3 and upwards is $4=1