Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

X32 3 axis Rotary homing, limit switches and E Stop Questions

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by OdysseycncBrian, Apr 17, 2023.

1. OdysseycncBrian

Builder

hello my name is brian and i have 10 black box x32s that i need to make a custom machine config for a 3 axis rotary. I am currently running the 4axis firmware and need to setup a custom grbl profile for homing/limit switches and using door as estop.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      146.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Homing and Limits are all controlled by Grbl Settings: Grbl v1.1 Configuration and Additional or extended settings

If you are running the 4-axes firmware included in CONTROL, checkout 4-axis CNC hot wire foam cutter for a more up-to-date version (currently in beta) that slaves the A-axis limit onto Z, allowing you to keep the Probe input (learn more about it Enable Hard Limits for A-axis with BlackBox X32 · Issue #67 · grblHAL/ESP32 and auto Square issue · Issue #64 · grblHAL/ESP32 )

Door input as E-Stop is not advisable - false sense of safety!

We don't recommend a software based Emergency stop / button connected to a controller thats dependent on controller/firmware/computer etc.

The software has an Abort (click button or ESC key on keyboard) for less-real emergencies, but a proper E-Stop should ALWAYS cut ALL power to the machine.

We recommend Wall Socket > https://www.rockler.com/safety-power-tool-switch > Power Strip> Everything else (Machine, Spindle, Dust extractor etc). In a real emergency you want to cut power to EVERYTHING at once. What if the dust extractor caught fire. Or the PSU is on fire. Or someone's hand is stuck under the router. That's why we advise against a software/controller based solution. When life, limb or property is at risk, cutting power is the safer option

3. OdysseycncBrian

Builder

As far as homing goes I just need the z and x axis to home and I can live with not having an e stop. I wish that it was simple to change the homing sequence. I guess I am looking for someone that can help me understand. I have read about the grbl configuration but makes little to no sense...... all this was simple with cncjs and xpro v5s. They just went through y drivers ..... we bought 10 of the x32's in hopes of a simple replacement but thus far seems that I can't get support from manufacturer to get a configuration that works on our machines we sell.....might be looking at masso or centriod products going forward

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It is. See

Set $44 (first homing sequence) to 4 (z axis = 4 in binary mask)
    Set $45 (second sequence) to 1 (x is 1 in binary mask)

That would be your guy OdysseyCNCBrian - but AFTER he read those Grbl Wikis - they really are worth reading it has all the answers

5. OdysseycncBrian

Builder

Thank you. I will see what I can get done when I get to work tomorrow