Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

X-pro CNC V5 Interfacing with Camera

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Khoi Ly, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Khoi Ly

Khoi Ly New
    Builder

Dear Openbuilds community,

I have an idea for a project as follow:

I have a 2-d workspace that I would like to engrave/cut on the surface depending on objects placed on that surface.

To do this, I use a camera to capture the object edges (edge detection). I then send this information to a program (probably in C++/python). The program generates paths of cut (Gcode) and send this to the x-pro CNC V5 controller for processing.

After the cut, the camera will capture the cut path and the computer will validate the cut quality.

So, my question is that how do I start building such a program? I am not sure how X-pro CNC V5 Gcode senders (CNCJ, Universal Gcode Sender, LaserGRBL, etc) automatically accept the data (Gcode) from my camera program and notify the completion of the laser cutting job to the camera program.

If x-pro v5 is not a good fit, do you have an alternative suggestions? My goal is to have low level access to the cnc controller software while retaining it's user interface if possible.

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Khoi

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder