Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

X-Carve Pro -> OpenBuilds BlackBox

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by kuito, Aug 25, 2023.

1. kuito

kuito New
    Builder

I currently have an X-Carve Pro, but have had constant issues with the controller.. I am no longer in warranty, and haven't heard from Inventables on a fix, but would like to get the machine back working.

It is continually blowing fuses, which I replace- not a problem, but now I believe one of the stepper motor drivers has failed while the other 3 are fine-which look like they are built into the custom arduino? (posting some photos for reference)

I have been thinking of switching from the XCP controller to the BlackBox ×32 by OpenBuilds.

Id have to disconnect a bunch of wires and what not, and connect them to the Blackbox, but I am thinking that can't be too hard.

Just curious if you think it's doable, and worth doing? Any advice? Or helpful tips?

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Checkout docs:blackbox-x32:start [OpenBuilds Documentation] and work through it to see what goes into the wiring.

Motors are extremely unlikely to fail, so probably fine to keep them. Do replace the PSU, limit switches and any suspect wiring (Fuse blows feels more like PSU or wiring shorts)
    Limits: Use Xtension Limit Switch Kit please - onboard filtering to help with EMI

Oh the VFD might also be suspect (ground loop faults, incorrect wiring can backfeed controller, just the sheer extra EMI from the VFD. etc). They are complicated and needs to be done right not to cause more problems than they solve (See docs:blackbox-x32:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation])

Do you know which fuse blows? The burnt holders suggest its on the mains side - if its the VFDs one that keeps blowing for example, its a VFD issue primarilly

3. kuito

kuito New
    Builder

The motor is fine.. I swapped the cables and it’s definitely the driver (as far as I can tell). I am wanting to switch because I like the OB software, and hopefully will find better support in this community vs inventables support.

I don’t recall which one it is.. and it hasn’t happened for a few months. I am hoping if I get the new power supply and Blackbox, and wire things up correctly — which I’ve never done, but I’m pretty meticulous — I think doing this might create more stability. ‍♂️

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sounds like a solid plan

Wiring is easy - just checkout our Youtube channel too - have some videos for our machines - a lot of it translates to any machine

Just do check on which Fuse holder looks the most burned, just worried it is the one supplying the VFD. It shouldn't blow (unless the fuse blow coincided with a seriously bogged down endmill - but then VFD should handle overcurrent conditions itself, if the fuse blew it might be undersized. That VFD wiring may need a rethink)

The worry is just that the cause of the fuse blow might persist and eventually damage the BlackBox too, so would just be nice to know what causes it so we avoid future issues