Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

x axis sounds horrible and is sporadic moving

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Lindsay S, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Lindsay S

Lindsay S New
    Builder

Hi,

Just started jogging my new LEAD for the first time. The Y axis sound great and moves smooth. Same with the Z. The x is a different story. It moves like there is a something definitely wrong. When homing the x won't move and acts like it is stuck. When the power is off I can turn the motor freely. When I first jogged it, it would go left and right. Then it would jog left and then right when pressing the same button. How it only goes to the left no matter what button is pressed.

The sound of it is excruciating.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Jim Robinson

Builder

you may already know this but steppers when wired incorrectly will just make a bunch of noise and barely move. I would double check your wiring if you haven't already. (but based on the fact that it moved at first it's probably not that....)

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Or more likely, was wired just good enough but after some moving and tugging a wire unseated from one of the terminals as it wasnt properly tightened or the wire was inserted with some insulation. This now makes an intermittent connection or broke completely. Probably just one of the 4 wires not making connection all the way back.

And if that doesnt show anything obvious, just redo all the connections on that axis's wiring.

sharmstr likes this.