Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

X-axis doesn’t back up from limit switch when homing

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by David Kater, Mar 24, 2022.

1. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

just listened to that vidoe again
    the X makes a bang when it hits the switch while Y does some expected decelerate/accelerate noises.

it is coming up against a hard stop, ie the switch running out of room to move?

I would halve the $110 and $120 values, and maybe also the home seek feedrates ($24/$25), X must make the same noises as Y.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  2. David Kater

Builder

I did put them very low, like 100mm/minute, even then it did the same thing. It seems like the X-axis doesn’t receive the signal to back off? About the room to move: I tried putting the switch more to the right, but it already has a few cm spare, so that isn’t the problem

3. David Kater

Builder

Is there anything else I can do to fix this? Or is it probably a fault in the blackbox?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

If the Troubleshooting tab reflects the switch status correctly the BlackBox is fine.

Did you check the Grub screws and other stuff mentioned in this thread yet - there are still several unanswered points

If you have doubts about the switch itself, swop around X and Z switches see if problem followed that particular switch (though a broken switch toggled manually will show stuck in the Troubleshooting tab)

Pop us a video of the Troubleshooting screen while you press each switch in turn and release each in turn - also showing the switch press please

5. David Kater

Builder

Alright, answering your questions point by point:

- Yes, i did check the grubscrews, they were al tight, just to be sure I tightened them down a bit further. Still no result.
    - I also swapped the X and Z switch, that also didn't help. In both configurations the troubleshooting window said all was fine.
    - I will record that video this afternoon!
    - If there are any more questions that I didn't answer, please let me know!

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Please check this closer - videoing the X axis switch on approach and around the time it has to back off - earlier video showed Y axis and quick flash of the screen, not the X axis in detail

Have you tried lowering speeds?

Have you confirmed this?

vs
    Just please confirm these were seperate tests. One to test for crossed over wiring, the other to test the switch itself

That switch took a hard knock at some point - roller all bent backwards so I want you to take the known good switch from Z, take it off the machine, bring it over to X, totally swopping this switch with the Z switch

upload_2022-3-29_13-55-27.png

David the swarfer likes this.
  7. David Kater

Builder

- I also moved the x-switch 5cm to the right, to make sure it had enough room, and indeed, the switch has enough room to be triggered, and to release.
    - I tried lowering the speeds, to 100mm/minute for seeking and locating
    - I can also confirm dat the directions are correct, as described in the message, Z+ moves up, Y+ moves to the back, X+ moves to the right
    - I did first swap the switch, and after that the wiring, so yes, I did do them seperate. I also put the z-switch on the x-axis, which wasn't bent, that didn't help too

8. Peter Van Der Walt

OK awaiting the close up videos of the X axis during homing then :)

9. David Kater

Builder

I hope these are clear!

Attached Files:

10. Peter Van Der Walt

What is the noise there?

11. David Kater

Builder

When the machine moves diagonally, there is a weird noise from the stepper motors, next problem:(

12. Peter Van Der Walt

For the other video, yes, your wiring is 100% correct, switch positions are correct, BlackBox is working perfectly.

Have you ran any test cuts, like the Hello World? docs:blackbox:hello-world [OpenBuilds Documentation] - to see if the motion side of things (switches are good, so back to the assumption something is going wrong when it tries to move) gets a test - any skipping or other similar issues will show up in a test cut

13. Peter Van Der Walt

The Y axis motors sounds good, but the X axis does not - probably not a coincidence that its the same axis with the homing issue
    Same noise when you jog X?

14. David Kater

Builder

I did a test cut, which included circles. When it moved X, it was smooth, but Y was stuttering. I did also test jogging up to 5meters/minute, went perfect! But when I sent it back to zero, which goes diagonally, there is that weird stutter again

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Check in with the vendor on that noise - they might know what typically requires adjustment or a closer check on their machines for that noise

Two more tests for the homing issue: Do run the Hello World, I want to check for some specific clues - even if its just to confirm what we already know (like the limits video, I'll keep wondering until I see it pass that hurdle - as this is a somewhat weird and out of the ordinary case)

In your Grbl settings, dial acceleration back down to 10mm/sec^2 (The Grbl default from Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki ) and do another homing test please

16. David Kater

Builder

Alright, I will do that tomorrow!

17. David Kater

Builder

I did the test, and even with the acceleration dialed back to 10mm it still didnt work. The Hello world g-code ran fine, except for when it does the diagonals, it makes that weird noise. I will contact the vendor about that. Sorry for my english, I am not a native speaker as you can hear :)

Attached Files:

18. David Kater

Builder

And the other video. I think they were too big to fit in one message

Attached Files:

19. Peter Van Der Walt

The terminals on the DIN rail here: Running mains in them? AC cabling near the low voltage signal cabling may still induce EMI
    upload_2022-3-30_13-44-57.png

I watched the videos :)
    - Was hoping to see a completed hello world cut as in in a piece of a wood - so we can look for telltale signs in the actual cut job result - subtle clues like backlash, leadnut issues, thrust bearing issues, motor stalls, etc all leave clear clues in a final cut that could help us look for issues
    - The 10mm/sec^2 - not while running a job, wanted to see if slower acceleration helps it "pull off" at the end of a homing cycle - but sounds like you say you did try that too and it didn't. Same error right?

20. David Kater

Builder

The contact on the din-rail is used as a cable-extension, so that shouldn’t be a problem. However, there is mains running on top of those, so I will separate those. I did the 10mm acceleration with homing too, which didn’t solve it. I will make the sign in wood too!

21. David the swarfer

still this....... X did not decelerate at the switch, THAT is a problem that must be addressed.

22. David the swarfer

You have bundled the limit switch wires with the stepper motor wires. That is mixing low voltage (sense) wires with high current power wires, a recipe for EMI.

23. David Kater

Builder

Would removing the zip-tie and spreading them out a bit be enough?

24. David the swarfer

yes, maybe, probable (-:

'as much as possible' rather than 'a bit'

wire spacing is subject to inverse square laws, double the distance gives 1/4 the field strength, so every bit counts.
    if they can also be 'not parallel' then that is much better.

25. David Kater

Builder

I only have a 8mm collet for my spindle at the moment, is there a different test that i can run that you recommend?

26. David Kater

Builder

F3C8A493-8976-4955-9697-1780F85E6EC7.jpeg A9A79711-A1E6-49A5-A5A3-CB6CD829D388.jpeg This is how I have got the wires running now, still the same problem, but I don’t have much more room to spread them further

27. Peter Van Der Walt

You can edit the tool parameters in OpenBuildsCAM to adjust the endmill diameter

28. David Kater

Builder

Yeah i did that, but then it didn’t have enough room to do all the toolpaths, because the letters are too small for an 8mm endmill

29. Peter Van Der Walt

OK, any other job with similar details will do, if you can do a pocket and a cut - should give us some clues

30. David Kater

Builder

Alright, i will do that! On the topic of EMI, I have not yet grounded my shielded cables, could that be a problem?